Garden Plant ID please

Sushmita Jha

Apr 5, 2009, 1:51:19 AM4/5/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all,
Please help id the plant which, for the first time, is flowering in my garden in South Delhi.
Many thanks.
Sushmita Jha
Plant ID-home-5Apr09.jpg
Plant, Flower ID-home-2-5Apr09 .jpg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 5, 2009, 2:02:42 AM4/5/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
... ¿ some kind of Ixora ? ... absolutely wild guess.
Regards.

Sushmita Jha

Apr 5, 2009, 2:06:00 AM4/5/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
possibly not, as the plant and leaves nor flower actually look like ixora. If I remember correctly I had bought this as a tiny plant from Kolkata Horticulture Society but the name completely escapes me. Hence the request for help.
Thanks.
Sushmita

Dinesh Valke

Apr 5, 2009, 2:11:48 AM4/5/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
OK Sushmita ji.

J.M. Garg

Apr 5, 2009, 6:45:11 AM4/5/09
to Dinesh Valke, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
I clicked the same shrub in Sanjeevaiah Park on 23/3/09. Would love to get the Id.

OK Sushmita ji.
Regards.

"We often ignore the beauty around us"

Sushmita Jha

Apr 5, 2009, 7:47:37 AM4/5/09
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dineshji,
you are right in calling it some sort of ixora. Apologies for my earlier dismissal of your suggestion.

 I was going through Trees of Delhi least expecting to find it and a picture of the flower appears on Page 147 (1st edition). It is described as Torch Tree Ixora Pavetta and whatever leaves the photo shows in the book also match. The shape of the tree shown doesnt however, though mine is only at plant stage in a 10" pot. It also says 'Delhi has only a solitary specimen that seems to do quite well".
Sushmita Jha

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Apr 5, 2009, 8:13:29 AM4/5/09
to Sushmita Jha, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Hi, Sushmita ji,
I am satisfied with Id of Ixora pavetta syn. Ixora parviflora. See also my attachments with close-up of flowers.

2009/4/5 Sushmita Jha <sushmi...@gmail.com>
For Id shrub I2 IMG_7065.jpg
For Id shrub I IMG_7065.jpg

Sushmita Jha

Apr 5, 2009, 8:19:46 AM4/5/09
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Thank you for the confirmation, Garg ji. And again, Dinesh ji.
Sushmita Jha

J.M. Garg

Apr 5, 2009, 8:22:40 AM4/5/09
to Sushmita Jha, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
No, Sushmita ji.
My correct wordings should be:
"I am not satisfied with Id of Ixora pavetta syn. Ixora parviflora. ........"

Dinesh Valke

Apr 5, 2009, 9:36:50 AM4/5/09
to J.M. Garg, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi
Sushmita ji, actually I am not confident with Ixora species.
For instance, what I have been considering I. pavetta is http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=91314344@N00&q=Ixora+pavetta&m=text ... and there are all the chances that I have misidentified.

Your photo *Plant, Flower ID-home-2-5Apr09 .jpg* showed one of the flower with four petals, all the flowers in a dense cluster, and the leaves reminded me that of any of Ixora tree ... all this led me to my guess.

There are many friends here who I am sure will comment and thrash the suspense.

Sushmita Jha

Apr 5, 2009, 10:01:12 AM4/5/09
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi
Dineshji,
Your photos of Pavetta look very different from the photos posted by Gargji's and me. The latter match quite completely with the photo in Pradip Kishen's book, which he is what he calls Torch Tree, Ixora Pavetta. Something is amiss somewhere and I am sure the experts will clarify.
Thank you.
Sushmita Jha

J.M. Garg

Apr 5, 2009, 10:39:31 AM4/5/09
to Sushmita Jha, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi
Hi, Sushmita ji,
If you see closely, your flower picture doesn't match with what's there in Pradip ji's book.

Sushmita Jha

Apr 5, 2009, 11:35:02 AM4/5/09
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix, Tabish Qureshi
I have to confess that I am not very detail-oriented.  I am in awe of your keen eyes, Garg-ji, andyour knowledge base. And await a consensus.
Sushmita Jha

J.M. Garg

Apr 9, 2009, 10:54:30 PM4/9/09
to indiantreepix
Forwarding again for Id pl.

Plant ID-home-5Apr09.jpg
Plant, Flower ID-home-2-5Apr09 .jpg

Sushmita Jha

Apr 10, 2009, 12:49:48 AM4/10/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Thank you for your reminder, Garg-ji. This morning I found the buds on the same plant in full bloom. Here is a photo of it which I hope will help in the ID.

Many thanks in anticipation of the ID.
Sushmita
Ixora or TorchTree Flower-home-10Apr09 007.jpg

ajinkya gadave

Apr 10, 2009, 12:56:51 AM4/10/09
to Sushmita Jha, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
hi sushmita jee
this is may be  Ixora acuminata or Ixora barbata

J.M. Garg

Apr 10, 2009, 2:50:58 AM4/10/09
to ajinkya gadave, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke, Suresh C. Sharma
After going through, I am doubtful about the posted plant being Ixora acuminata or Ixora barbata or Ixora Pavetta.
Mystery continues.....

J.M. Garg

Apr 11, 2009, 7:53:28 AM4/11/09
to ajinkya gadave, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke, Suresh C. Sharma, Tabish Qureshi, satish phadke
Can it be Pavetta crassicaulis (Syn. Pavetta indica) as per link?: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_7FeaVsNNWCg/R3IZjDJLyGI/AAAAAAAAB8k/Y0aJrnziS8U/Papat-+Pavetta+crassicaulis-2.jpg

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Sushmita Jha <sushmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for your reminder, Garg-ji. This morning I found the buds on the same plant in full bloom. Here is a photo of it which I hope will help in the ID.

Many thanks in anticipation of the ID.
Sushmita

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Forwarding again for Id pl.

Sushmita Jha

Apr 13, 2009, 12:07:15 PM4/13/09
to J.M. Garg, ajinkya gadave, indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke, Suresh C. Sharma, Tabish Qureshi, satish phadke
Gargji,
the flower looks closer to the one blooming in my garden, except that the bunch is sparser than mine. Will it be right to then conclude that the one in my garden is indeed Pavetta crassicaulis?
I found a similar ixora shrub (except that the leaves are not as long as mine and the flower is also probably a bit different) in my neighbourhood and will take a photo and post it for id.
Thank you all for all the help.
Sushmita Jha