For ID 200810 a ET

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Aug 20, 2010, 7:11:40 AM8/20/10
to indiantreepix
Friends
I took this flower/Plant picture near Badrinath Uttarakhand
Date/Time-14.7.10 ----1.08p.m
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Badrinath
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- ----wild
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- --- Shrub
Height/Length- -----around 1.0me
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size -------as seen in the picture
Inflorescence Type/ Size-
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- ---- as seen in the picture
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-
Please give ID
With Warm Regards,

E.Thiruvengadam
Mobile 09987886892
Chembur, Mumbai - 400074

IMG_1316.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 20, 2010, 7:34:11 AM8/20/10
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Rumex nepalensis, I suppose

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Aug 20, 2010, 1:44:00 PM8/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Rumex nepalensis indeed
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Ninad Raut

Aug 20, 2010, 10:54:17 PM8/20/10
to efloraofindia
Hi All,

Rumex nepalensis Sprengel, Syst. Veg. 2: 159. 1825. (eFlora of China)

I always see this plant mainly in high anthropogenic pressure areas.
In forest fringes, nearby village, most commonly at n around
shepherd's camp-sites, some famous trekking sites and routes are
places where one can see this plant

Regards
Ninad

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 20, 2010, 11:05:05 PM8/20/10
to Ninad Raut, efloraofindia
And yes I remember in our childhood days, we had two types of wooden slates (Takhti). In one white clay paste was painted on takhti, allowed to dry in sun and then we used to write in ink. In another we used to blacken it with soot (mostly over a mustard oil lamp) all over, rub leaves of this species over it and then give a shine by rubbing with  inkpot (ghota). Then we would write on this with pen (kalam) dipped in white clay suspension.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Aug 20, 2010, 11:13:19 PM8/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Ninad Raut, efloraofindia
Lovely Sir Ji I was completely unaware regarding the writing instruments you mentions
Tanay