Indian Red Water Lily (Nymphaea nouchali)

J.M. Garg

Jan 29, 2008, 10:33:52 PM1/29/08
to indiantreepix
Whenever I go to Bot. Gardens in Kolkata, I always find it difficult to resist their beauty.

Nymphaea is a genus of aquatic plants in the family Nymphaeaceae. There are about 50 species in the genus, which has a cosmopolitan distribution.

The common name, shared with some other genera in the same family, is water-lily or waterlily.

The name Nymphaea comes from the Greek term "Νυμφαία", posibly related to "Νύμφη" meaning "nymph". The nymphs in Greek mythology were supernatural feminine beings associated with springs, so the application of the name to delicately flowered aquatic plants is understandable.

Nymphaea leaves have a radial notch from the circumference to the petiole (leaf stem) in the center.

Despite their name, water-lilies are not related to the true lilies (family Liliaceae). The name "lily" is applied to a number of plants that are not at all closely related, such as day lilies, spider lilies and arum lilies, in addition to the water lilies. Nymphaea (Egyptian lotuses) are also not related to the Chinese and Indian lotus of genus Nelumbo, which are used in Asian cooking and sacred to Hinduism and Buddhism.

However, the genus Nymphaea is closely related to Nuphar, another genus commonly called "lotus". In Nymphaea, the flower petals are much larger than the sepals, whereeas in Nuphar the petals are much smaller than its sepals. The fruit maturation also differs, with Nymphaea fruit sinking below the water level immediately after the flower closes, whereas Nuphar fruit are held above water level to maturity. Both genera share leaves with a radial notch from the circumference to the petiole (leaf stem) in the center.

Many of the water-lilies familiar in water gardening are hybrids.

The above details taken from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphaea
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

JM Garg

Apr 15, 2018, 2:21:58 AM4/15/18
to efloraofindia
It should be Nymphaea × omarana Bisset as per images and references herein.