An observation in SGNP, Mumbai

kiran srivastava

Aug 11, 2009, 12:25:25 AM8/11/09
to wildflo...@yahoogroups.com, Flowers of India, indian...@googlegroups.com
We went to our usual rocky patch near Kanheri Caves in Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) here in Mumbai to check for flowers. Usually, the base of Euphorbia plants are covered with bright yellow flowers of Graham's Groundsel, Senecio grahami, endemic to Western Ghats. However, not a single flower was seen last Sunday. Is it because of inadequate rainfall, I wonder?

Other flowers seen were Silver-spiked Cockscomb, Neonotis montholoni, Balsam, Commelina, Cat's Ears, Hill Turmeric which is usual.

Cheers,
Kiran Srivastava
Mumbai

Rajesh Sachdev

Aug 11, 2009, 2:33:07 AM8/11/09
to kiran srivastava, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com, Flowers of India, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kiran, this season I am also missing groundsel/senecio grahami.
last week i been to matheran, the wild turmeric was also missing,
which is suppose to be blooming in peak now.

--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

Pardeshi S.

Aug 12, 2009, 6:15:47 AM8/12/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
you only gave the answer
since it was late and low rainfall this year, the plants are not now
in the flowering state. two weeks back i visited the Kanheri caves and
View poitn and i observed these small ppants of senecio and eriocaulon
species. they are yet to bloom. wait for soem time and thenature will
show us its beauty.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

kiran srivastava

Aug 12, 2009, 7:21:37 AM8/12/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I did see some Eriocaulon or Bead Grass, as well as Murdannia wightii. I hope the hillside are splashed with colour in the coming weeks.

To answer Rajesh, I saw lots of Hill Turmeric flowers in SGNP but forgot to mention it.

Cheers,
Kiran Srivastava
Mumbai