Blooming Period of Jacaranda

Vinaya Kumar Thimmappa

Mar 2, 2008, 10:36:08 PM3/2/08
to indiantreepix
I am seeing that  Jacaranda Tree blooming now in Bannerughatta Nationa Park
(near Jungle lodges entry point).

I thought blooming period of these were in December (as observed in previous years). Is this wrong ?

Also Tabebuia have bloomed on Palace Road (bangalore)
 (may be last week before flowers go done) .

Vinaya

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:46 AM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, everybody,
Can someone take up compilation of data for Herbs/ Shrubs posted on Indiantreepix, on the lines I am doing for trees? It will certainly be a very useful work.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

--
vinaya

J.M. Garg

Mar 3, 2008, 12:41:28 AM3/3/08
to Vinaya Kumar Thimmappa, indiantreepix
Hi, Vinaya ji,
Data available so far:
Flowering (13/2/08) at Mayani near Satara as per Rama ji- It appears to be too early & even in Pune I have seen an occasional Jacaranda (though most are not) in full bloom (13/2/08)- Satish ji.  Jacaranda trees are in bloom (13/2/08) in Banglore- Vidya ji. Flowering seen in May over the years in Himachal- J.M.Garg. Blooming now (2/3/08) in Bannerghatta National Park near Banglore- Vinaya.
Books references:
Trees of Delhi- flowers with the new leaves, early April to mid May: occasional short flushes in the rains. Beautiful Trees & Shrubs of Calcutta- flowering occurs from late spring to early summer (April-May).

I am looking for Mumbai & Banglore references, so that we can really feel the impact, if any. May anybody quote from the refrences of Mumbai & Banglore (South India) etc.

Vinaya Kumar Thimmappa

Mar 3, 2008, 1:44:14 AM3/3/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Fwding an email from bngbirds archive on jacarandas ( Sent by S.Karthikeyan on feb 23 2003 )

Hello !

Most of the Jacarandas are coming into bloom. So
here is some info on the species.

Common Name : Jacaranda
Botanical Name :Jacaranda mimosaefolia
Origin : Brazil
Flowering Season : February-March

Brief Description : Jacaranda is a very beautiful
tree and spectacular when in
flower. It attains a large size. The tree has a
canopy consisting of fine, feathery leaves due to
which it has a great ornamental value. The leaves
are lost during winter and the bunches of flowers
grow when the tree is leafless. The flowers are
mauve coloured and tubular. The seeds are enclosed
in a round, woody capsule. They hang from the tree
for a long time before dropping off. There is
flush even when the tree is in bloom. There are
many trees that are coming into bloom in the city.

Regards,
S.Karthikeyan
Sr. Education Officer
WWF-India, Bangalore

J.M. Garg

Mar 3, 2008, 3:46:29 AM3/3/08
to Vinaya Kumar Thimmappa, indiantreepix

Hi, Vinaya ji.
By Tabebuias you mean yellow ones- *Tabebuia aurea* (*Caribbean/ Paraguayan/
Silver Trumpet tree, Yellow poui or Tree of Gold*) as per the following
link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabebuia_aurea

Vinaya Kumar Thimmappa

Mar 3, 2008, 4:42:07 AM3/3/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix