DV - 26AUG10 - 0921 :: ¿ Nepalese / Chinese ? Persicaria

Dinesh Valke

Sep 7, 2010, 8:11:04 AM9/7/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Please help in knowing whether the plant is Persicaria nepalensis / P. chinensis (syn. Polygonum auriculatum).
In the cropped pictures, we see the leaves with winged petioles ... is that characteristic to P. nepalensis ?

Date/Time
: August 26, 2010 at 9.21am IST
Location Place : Tableland, Panchagani
Altitude : about 1323 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : around 17°55'19.63"N, 73°48'16.60"E

Habitat : grassland
Type : moist

Plant
Habit
: small herb, groundcover
Height : about 30 - 40 cm
Length : - not a climber -

Leaves
Type
: simple, with margin coarsely crenate
Shape : between ovate and deltoid,
Size : about 6 - 7 cm x 3 - 4 cm

Inflorescence
Type
: clusters in topmost leaf axil
Size : about 10 - 15 mm

Flowers
Size
: about 4 - 5 mm
Colour : white
Calyx : do not know
Bracts : - no bracts -

Fruits
Type
: do not know
Shape : do not know
Size : do not know
Seeds : do not know

Other Info
Fragrance : do not know
Pollinator : do not know
Uses : do not know

Regards.
P1240460_cropped.jpg
P1240455.jpg
P1240455_cropped.jpg
P1240456.jpg
P1240458.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 7, 2010, 8:53:54 AM9/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
P. nepalensis (syn: P. alatum)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Sep 7, 2010, 9:24:58 AM9/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you very much, Gurcharan ji for the ID.
Regards.

tanay bose

Sep 7, 2010, 1:06:35 PM9/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Persicaria nepalensis
indeed
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Dinesh Valke

Sep 22, 2010, 2:27:59 AM9/22/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji and all ... in the cropped picture (P1240455_cropped.jpg), we see the leaves with winged petioles ... is that characteristic only to P. nepalensis compared to P. chinensis ?
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 22, 2010, 12:30:14 PM9/22/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
I don't think P. chinensis has winged petiole, although petiole base has auricles sometimes, moreover inflorescence is more or less panicles, the perianth fleshy and enlarged in fruit.