Butea monosperma

satish phadke

Jan 26, 2009, 11:11:16 AM1/26/09
to indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
Butea monosperma (Palas)
My favourite plant seen in full bloom near Nandivali village, Mulshi,Pune.on 25th Jan 2009.
Satish Phadke

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
ButeaDSCN0122.jpg

satish phadke

Jan 27, 2009, 4:30:48 AM1/27/09
to indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
I definitely think this is early.I have seen one tree in Pune city flowering in full bloom on 31 Dec 2008.
Last year also many members have contributed about the flowering data of this tree and it was earlier than expected.
In Pune I think there are two types of strains one flowers early as is the case now whereas the trees of the other strain(?)flower little later so at present they are devoid of even any buds at present but they are likely to flower in late Feb or early march.
Some environmental indicator as you say?
Satish

2009/1/26 satish phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

dhaivat hathi

Jan 27, 2009, 5:35:19 AM1/27/09
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian, wildflowerindia
from last two years I am observing the same, last year I had seen flowering in early Dec and this year too I could see in December..

Regards,
Dhaivat Hathi
Ahmedabad - Gujarat

--
Have a nice time,
Regards,

"Lets Protect What We Enjoy"

J.M. Garg

Jan 28, 2009, 12:31:00 AM1/28/09
to dhaivat hathi, satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Data from last year for Butea monosperma:
Flowering reported in January (started from first week) from southern belt of Rajasthan by Sarita Mehra ji. & in Feb. from Banglore by Raghu ji, from Mumbai by Kiran ji,  from Pune by Satish ji, from Kutch by Jugal ji (18/2/08) & near Badalapur, Maharastra by Mangesh ji, from Delhi by Rama ji. Most of the Butea have flowered in Nagpur (26/2/08) as per Rohit. It's flowering profusely now (22/2/08) in Kolkata. Last year, I (J.M.Garg) took pictures of it flowering in March in Kolkata- Flowering profusely now (6/3/08). In Pune (Maharashtra), the trees are flowering for last 2-3 weeks but in some parts there are no flowers at all which may or may not start in few days- 30/1/08- Satish ji. Flowering in March' 08  - Nilje (Dombivali), Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) (Borivali & Thane) Maharashtra- 14/3/08- Tejal ji.

dhirenmp

Feb 5, 2009, 12:19:00 PM2/5/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Satish & Garji,

If you say the saffron colour palas as Butea monosperma, then what
about white colour flower of Butea.What species we called them.
Can some one clarify.
In MP and West Bengal some places we do get white colour Butea
( palas).

regards
dhrien pania

On Jan 26, 9:11 pm, satish phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Butea monosperma* (Palas)
>  ButeaDSCN0122.jpg
> 197KViewDownload
>
>  ButeaDSCN0127.jpg
> 203KViewDownload
>
>  ButeaDSCN0132.jpg
> 146KViewDownload

Neil Soares

Feb 5, 2009, 12:59:37 PM2/5/09
to dhirenmp, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dhrien,
   The yellow flower variety of Butea monosperma is called Butea monosperma var. lutea. Have not heard of a white flower variety [? Butea monosperma var.alba].
                  With regards,
                    Neil Soares.

Hemanth

Feb 5, 2009, 2:01:54 PM2/5/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, dhirenmp, indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

Butea has 5 commonly seen  species in India.

Butea Monosperma,

Butea Frondosa,

Butea purpurea,

Butea superb,  and

Butea parviflora

Butea monosperma is the palash, Butea frondosa is the yellowish looking variety,

Butea superba is many a times considered to be synonym of B. monosperma while many explorers say they both are different.

Butea Purpurea is a climber if I remember right.

While B. parviflora may be the whitish one.

Please cross check I am just remembering something that I referred 3 years ago.

Regards,

Hemanth

Neil Soares

Feb 5, 2009, 10:19:19 PM2/5/09
to Hemanth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hemant,
        There are 5 species of Butea commonly seen:
   1.B.monosperma [B.frondosa]- an erect tree
   2.B.monosperma var.lutea [B.frondosa var.lutea]- similar but with yellow flowers.
   3.B.parviflora- a large climber.
   4.B.purpurea- a lofty climber.
& 5.B. superba- a gigantic climber.
           At my farm have B.monosperma and B.parviflora. Have previously made a request for seeds of B.monosperma var.lutea.
                      Regards,
                        Neil Soares.

Aparna Watve

Feb 5, 2009, 11:26:33 PM2/5/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, Hemanth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
I don't know what references all of you are checking for Butea spp.- they appear to be old.
At this point I find it necessary to say it again which I have been saying for a while now... when in doubt,

READ a standard and recent flora!!!(BOLD and CAPITAL and STRESSED in all ways)

Most of you are so motivated that you should try reading through the complicated citations given next to the name- which explain changes in the name of plant over years. It often explains a lot.

About Butea spp. (in Maharashtra),
THERE ARE JUST TWO SPECIES.

1. Climbing shrubs or extensive lianas- Butea superba (this is fairly common esp. in North Maharashtra , dry forests and is called Palas-vel) (Hemanth, I dont know anyone thinking Butea superba as synonym of Butea monosperma, it is impossible- where did you hear it?)
2. Trees- Butea monosperma (first and most known. It was previously called Butea frondosa)
This is further divided into 2 varieties-
Butea monosperma var. monosperma- the typical variety is the tree that we all see everywhere
Butea monosperma var. lutea- yellow flowered Butea
the white flowered Butea is NOT raised to any variety level and should be considered just an aberration or variant (not VARIETY- which is a taxonomic term ) of the typical species Butea monosperma var. monosperma.

That's it. so when you are counting Butea- it has 2 species only. Neil, the variety should not be counted separately while counting species (as has been done above) and should be grouped within the typical species as it exists here.

The other two plants you have been talking about-
Spatholobus parviflorus- which used to be called Butea parviflora in the past. (the specific epithet parviflorus means small flowered..)
Spatholobus purpureus - in the limited time that I had, I could not check if this was Butea purpurea in the past- the flora of Maharashtra doesn't give it. maybe one should check Dr. Sanjappa's Legumes of India.

If someone (esp. Swapna) can take a look at Almeida's flora, and tell us what he has to say on this matter it will be nice
regards
Aparna
--
Dr. Aparna Watve
34/6, Gulawani Maharaj Rd,

Neil Soares

Feb 6, 2009, 2:36:13 AM2/6/09
to Aparna Watve, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aparna,
  Thanks for your comments.
           I have quoted from Dr.M.R. Almeida's 'Flora of Maharashtra' Vol 2.
  Butea parviflora was identified by Dr.Almeida on a visit to my farm.
                               With regards,
                                  Neil Soares.

DHIREN PANIA

Feb 6, 2009, 9:33:41 AM2/6/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Aparna Watve, Hemanth
Dear Neil,Aparna, Hemanth,
Thanx for interesting discussion.I had also not seen  Butea with white flower.But I have seen photographs.
I am attaching here with four photographs of Butea monosperma with white flowers.
As I said these plants are found around MP forest and West Bengal.Infact some nursery sale such plants but difficult to believe them,  by the time they flower & if its not white, its too late to hold nurserymen.

Thanx once again to all for  sharing information.
White flowere of Butea monosperma-01.JPG
White flowere of Butea monosperma-02.JPG.part.JPG
White flowere of Butea monosperma-03.JPG.part.JPG.part.JPG
White flowere of Butea monosperma-04.JPG.part.JPG.part.JPG.part.JPG

Tejal V.

Feb 9, 2009, 10:39:39 AM2/9/09
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
On 25th Jan 2009, saw Palash flowering in Maharashtra Nature Park (MNP) too. It was a visit with RAYs and we had Prof. Ulhas Rane with us, he gave out an interesting information on this tree - the Indian Poet, Kalidasa saw the flower of palash as a beak of a parrot and exclaimed 'kinshuk' (in sanskrit) which means 'is it a parrot?'  Since then the tree is also called as 'kinshuk' or parrot tree.

Cheers,
Tejal V
<<<<<<<<<<<<
Nurturing Grounds
art  .ideas .actions
9 8 3 3 7 0 7 5 9 8

DHIREN PANIA

Feb 9, 2009, 11:49:08 AM2/9/09
to Tejal V., WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
Dear  Tejal,
Palas has long and deep historical roots in our culture.Besides its color and medicinal uses,  its used in in astrology also. Palas is one of the Kalpavriksha (other four are Peepal,Umber,Vad, and Mango )
In Astrology, you must be knowing about Astral Garden or Nakshtra Van (It is in Mahim Nature Park near  Education Building).  27 Constellations has one tree each &Astrology says that person who knows his Constellation/ Nakshtra and  plant his tree (called as Nakshtra Tree),on
the day when that Nakshtra  is.and daily he/she  water him and take care of the tree.Tree  will blessed him.
for e.g. Butea monosperma is for Purva Nakshtra.
So, if you are borne in Purva  Nakshtra then plant, Butea monosperma ,when its (as per  hindu Panchang) and you will be blessed.

Regards
dhiren pania

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Feb 10, 2009, 4:09:01 AM2/10/09
to DHIREN PANIA, Tejal V., WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
Which tree is known as the Umber tree?
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Swaminathan, Prakash

Feb 10, 2009, 4:30:53 AM2/10/09
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, DHIREN PANIA, Tejal V., WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
I guess it is Ficus glomerata (Oudhumbara) ?

Regards
Prakash
È +91 98675 08049
*Prakash.S...@bg-group.com

Feb 10, 2009, 4:34:24 AM2/10/09
to Swaminathan, Prakash, Anand Kumar Bhatt, DHIREN PANIA, Tejal V., WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
Ficus glomerata is Umbaro in Guajrati and Gular in Hindi.

regards,
Dhaivat Hathi

Swaminathan, Prakash

Feb 10, 2009, 8:51:57 AM2/10/09
to dhaivat.hathi, Anand Kumar Bhatt, DHIREN PANIA, Tejal V., WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
In the context of Kalpavriksha Umbar(Marathi name) is Ficus glomerata . Refer links below :

Gargji has taken us to a different dimension by citing the mythical Amber tree. Thanks Gargji for the info.

Regards
Prakash
È +91 98675 08049
*Prakash.S...@bg-group.com

Feb 12, 2009, 11:35:33 AM2/12/09
to anand...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Anandji,
 Umber/Gular, is also medicinally important plant. Few medicinal uses are known to me & they are --in boils we have to apply  its resin  paste;the white latex, which comes out from breaking of leaf/ breaking of branch/root  is nutritive to be used with other medicines. For tooth pains and boils in mouth its skin of branch to be boiled and  as mouthwash. Mainly its  use for acidity.
Its wood is very strong, hence its used for house.
And many more uses are their.

regards
dhiren pania