132 ID wild plant Mentha

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Aug 31, 2021, 2:26:17 PM8/31/21
to efloraofindia
Dear Members,
Please ID wild plant, kind regards, Sam.

Location: near Reserve Forest, Chathamattom, Ernakulam District, (Kochi) Kerala PIN:686671

Altitude: 1400fsl

Flower date: 10.08.2021, 11.35am

Habitat: wild moisture

Plant habit: under shrub, erect, branches, hard rigid stem, hairy, good aromatic taste and smell, perennial

Height: 05 feet

Leaves: opposite, ovate, oblong, apex, toothed margins, aromatic taste and smell, size:7×4cm or less

Flower: racemose inflorescence, clustered, diameter:03mm, white, good fragrance

Fruit: chamber green into brown, size:3×3mm

Seed: ovate, black 5 nos., size:1×.5mm, mucoused when wet

Camera: mobile Samsung Galaxy A21s

132 Identify wild plant
20210810_115103.jpg
20210810_113827.jpg
20210810_113856.jpg
20210810_114926.jpg
20210810_113714.jpg
20210810_113954.jpg

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Aug 31, 2021, 2:28:21 PM8/31/21
to efloraofindia
Sharing more images
20210810_115317.jpg
20210810_115405.jpg
20210810_115606.jpg
20210810_115523.jpg
20210810_115256.jpg
20210810_115712.jpg

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Aug 31, 2021, 2:32:53 PM8/31/21
to efloraofindia
Sharing more images
20210810_132808.jpg
20210810_115820.jpg
20210810_115755.jpg
20210810_115732.jpg
20210810_115804.jpg
20210810_115741.jpg

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Aug 31, 2021, 2:34:44 PM8/31/21
to efloraofindia
Sharing more images
20210810_115804.jpg
20210810_115843.jpg
20210810_115831.jpg

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Aug 31, 2021, 9:20:59 PM8/31/21
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Ocimum basilicum,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by Mailtrack 09/01/21, 06:48:25 AM

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Sep 1, 2021, 4:46:20 AM9/1/21
to efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Yes, it is, dear Paradesi ji, thank you very much for ID my plant, with kind regards, Sam.

Mahadeswara

Sep 1, 2021, 7:57:33 AM9/1/21
to efloraofindia
I concur with Anjaneyulu ji.  I have this plant in my house.

J.M. Garg

Sep 5, 2021, 3:21:32 AM9/5/21
to efloraofindia, Sam Kuzhalanattu, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, M Swamy
Thanks, Paradesi ji and Mahadeswara ji.

Three Ocimum species are quite close and confused with each other.
Key to continental SE Asian species of Ocimum:
5. Fruiting calyx up to 5 mm long; corolla 4 – 5.5 mm long
6. Fruiting calyx 2 – 3 mm long; stem internodes with short adpressed or retrose hairs ……. 4.
O. americanum
6. Fruiting calyx 4 – 5.5 mm long; stem internodes with long, spreading and sometimes retrorse hairs ……….. 5.
O. africanum
5. Fruiting calyx 6 – 8 mm long; corolla 7 – 8 mm long ……… 6.
O. basilicum

As stem internodes have long spreading hairs, it should be Ocimum × africanum Lour.

It (Ocimum × africanum Lour.) is a hybrid of O. americanum × O. basilicum as per WCSP and listed as Ocimum basilicum var. pilosum (Willd.) Benth. in FoPI

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Sep 5, 2021, 4:04:32 AM9/5/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, M Swamy
Dear Garg ji, Mahadeswara ji, Paradesi ji, all Members,
Thank you very much for ID my plant, kind regards, Sam.

Mahadeswara

Sep 5, 2021, 8:37:01 AM9/5/21
to efloraofindia
Thanks Garg ji for the final ID and for the Key provided by you.