Flora Picture of the year- 2009

Alok Goyal

Dec 30, 2009, 1:54:23 AM12/30/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hallo all

This is my submission for the flora picture of the year-2009. inspired to some extent by David Attenborough's "private life of plants" i keep looking for some less noticed structures on the plants which enhance their attraction, used in defense or for any other purpose other than the routine.
The leaf is that of Erythrina suberosa. its a young leaf which is almost all covered with a lot of hair. the base of leaf is possesses these extrafloral nectaries which stand out of the hair covering the young parts. the nectaries probably act in plant defense by attracting ants which feed on the nectar produced by these nectaries. these ants inturn protect the plant, flowers and flower buds from insect pests.

Alok
Eryth sub.jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 30, 2009, 2:05:44 AM12/30/09
to Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Alok ji.
Your posting shows the changes in general which emerged from the Year 2009 on Indiantreepix.
Lovely composition & description!!!
2009/12/30 Alok Goyal <alok...@gmail.com>

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

JANAKI TURAGA

Dec 30, 2009, 2:27:18 AM12/30/09
to Alok Goyal, treepix Indian
dear alok
Very nice and innovative!
thanks for posting this!
kind regards
janaki turaga

Aparna Watve

Dec 30, 2009, 7:38:51 AM12/30/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, Alok Goyal, treepix Indian
Dear Alokji lovely picture! I felt motivated to contribute one I have tried
It is leaf of Jatropha gossypifolia, and the glands I tried to
highlight in the pic- look like a string of lights
Happy New Year to all of you.
Aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

leaf Jatropha.jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 30, 2009, 7:46:29 AM12/30/09
to Aparna Watve, JANAKI TURAGA, Alok Goyal, treepix Indian
Lovely capture, Aparna ji.

2009/12/30 Aparna Watve <aparna...@gmail.com>

Satish Phadke

Dec 30, 2009, 10:07:16 AM12/30/09
to Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
Great pictures by Alok and Aparna
You have highlighted a very interesting and different aspect about plant life.
I Certainly got inspired to look at these aspects while observing the plant life henceforth
Thanks for sharing
Dr Satish Phadke

2009/12/30 Alok Goyal <alok...@gmail.com>

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 30, 2009, 10:20:15 AM12/30/09
to Satish Phadke, Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
I have this one in the series of photographs of vegetative parts: Again Jatropha gossypifolia

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Jatropha-gossypifolia-Delhi.jpg

Pinki

Dec 30, 2009, 11:45:57 PM12/30/09
to indiantreepix
Really beautiful pictures Aparna ji and Gurcharan Singh ji. Your
photographs highlight some of the very hidden and beautiful aspects of
this common plant. Sorry to use these words but i must say that i am
compelled to use the word 'really hot n sexy' for plant world....

Alok

On Dec 30, 7:20 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have this one in the series of photographs of vegetative parts: Again
> Jatropha gossypifolia
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Associate Professor

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Satish Phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Great pictures by Alok and Aparna
> > You have highlighted a very interesting and different aspect about plant
> > life.
> > I Certainly got inspired to look at these aspects while observing the plant
> > life henceforth
> > Thanks for sharing
> > Dr Satish Phadke
>

> > 2009/12/30 Alok Goyal <alok12...@gmail.com>

> > Hallo all
>
> >> This is my submission for the flora picture of the year-2009. inspired to
> >> some extent by David Attenborough's "private life of plants" i keep looking
> >> for some less noticed structures on the plants which enhance their
> >> attraction, used in defense or for any other purpose other than the
> >> routine.
> >> The leaf is that of Erythrina suberosa. its a young leaf which is almost
> >> all covered with a lot of hair. the base of leaf is possesses these
> >> extrafloral nectaries which stand out of the hair covering the young parts.
> >> the nectaries probably act in plant defense by attracting ants which feed on
> >> the nectar produced by these nectaries. these ants inturn protect the plant,
> >> flowers and flower buds from insect pests.
>
> >> Alok
>
> >> --

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> >  --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Associate Professor
>

>  Jatropha-gossypifolia-Delhi.jpg
> 141KViewDownload

R. Vijayasankar

Dec 31, 2009, 3:54:23 AM12/31/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

This topic is becoming very interesting and inviting participation. Thanks Alok ji for the initiation. Most of the times the non-floral characters such as presence of latex, glands, thorns etc also contribute for arriving at correct identification. We, during our explorations, always remember to capture these interesting aspects. For example, after knowing the importance of number of seeds in idying Crotalaria, i started taking pictures of seeds too (see pic). Sharing few pictures showing key features, with you all!

Another pet subject of mine is 'intra-specific variations' in plants. We have included these subjects (variations, morphological features etc) in the curriculum of our 'training on plant identification and herbarium techniques'.

Wishing you all a very happy and prosperous new year 2010.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore
crotalaria quinquefolia_split open pod showing seeds.JPG
terminalia chebula_oblong fruits.JPG
flacourtia ramontchi_spines on lower trunk.jpg
morinda umbellata_quenching thirst in forest.jpg
morinda umbellata_yielding water.jpg
secamone emetica_stem with corky protruberences.jpg

Pinki

Dec 31, 2009, 6:13:52 AM12/31/09
to indiantreepix
Thankyou very much Garg Ji and Turaga ji

Alok