Wrightia tinctoria (lack indrajau, dyeing rosebay, dyers’s oleander, ivory tree)

J.M. Garg

Aug 10, 2009, 11:56:48 AM8/10/09
to indiantreepix
Wrightia tinctoria on 21/6/09 in Keesaragutta, Distt. Rangareddy, AP.
More details from Indiantreepix Database:
Wrightia tinctoria (syn. Nerium tinctorium, N. tinctorium)  Apocynaceae  black indrajau, dyeing rosebay, dyers’s oleander, ivory tree, pala indigo plant, sweet indrajao • Gujarati: દૂધલો dudhalo • Hindi: दुधी dudhi, इन्द्रजौ indrajau, काला कुडा kala kuda, करायजा karayaja, कुडा kuda • Kannada: ಅಜಮರ ajamara • Konkani: काळाकुडो kalakudo • Marathi: भूरेवडी bhurevadi, काळा कुडा kala kuda • Malayalam: ഭന്തപ്പാല bhanthappaala, കമ്പിപ്പാല kampippaala, നിലപ്പാല nilappaala • Sanskrit: असित कुटज asita kutaj, hyamaraka, स्त्री कुटज stri kutaja • Tamil: இரும்பாலை irum-palai, பாலை paalai, வெட்பாலை vet-palai • Telugu: అంకుడుచెట్టు ankuduchettu, చిట్టిఅంకుడు chiti-anikudu, కొండజెముడు kondajemudu flowering tree- May 2008- Tippur, Mysore distt.; In Vanasthalipuram N.P. in Hyderabad, A.P. on 4/4/08; SGNP- 16/6/09; Wrightia tinctoria on Flickr - Photo Sharing! White flowering tree for Identification - 22May2008Raghu1 - indiantreepix | Google Groups Tree for Id2- 010409-Jm2 - indiantreepix | Google Groups Wrightia tinctoria - indiantreepix | Google Groups Pics of my today's visit to SGNP - indiantreepix | Google Groups Dried leaves of Wrightia tinctoria - indiantreepix | Google Groups For ID 200709 ET - indiantreepix | Google Groups

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Wrightia tinctoria flowers in Keesaraguda, AP I IMG_9109.jpg
Wrightia tinctoria in Keesaraguda, AP I IMG_9065.jpg
Wrightia tinctoria in Keesaraguda, AP I IMG_9078.jpg
Wrightia tinctoria in Keesaraguda, AP I IMG_9082.jpg
Wrightia tinctoria in Keesaraguda, AP I IMG_9114.jpg

devendra bhardwaj

Aug 10, 2009, 9:03:59 PM8/10/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix

Hi garg ji

I think  इन्द्रजौ indrajau, काला कुडा kala kuda, Different species. In Rajasthan Wrightia tinctoria wood uses in toy industry particularly in udaipur .Local name Khirni ,according Bhandari flora “ Bhaker –Aak”.Flowering in March-April(Photo taken in April)

Regard

Devendra
Wrightia tinctoria .jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 10, 2009, 11:21:57 PM8/10/09
to indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj
Here is some feedback from Devendra ji in a seperate mail:
In the heading (subject) of the mail, it has to be black indrajau instead of lack indrajau

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 11, 2009, 8:43:17 AM8/11/09
to devendra bhardwaj, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
It is  common to confuse between Wrightia tinctoria (this photograph) and Holarrhena antidysenterica (uploaded in post 15320 by J M Garg). Both have similar looking leaves, long follicles and white flowers. The flowers,  however, are quite distinct, stamens are included in Holarrhena and corona filaments are absent, whereas in Wrightia stamens are protruding and corona filaments are prominently visible. Though Hindi name Indrajau is approriately applied to Wrightia, it is sometimes also applied to Holarrhena (I found this label in Herbal Garden in Delhi, and initially got confused). More acurately Wrightia is Mitha-indrajau and Holarrhena Karwa-indrajau (Tita-indrajau in Bengal; Kadu-indrajau in Maharashtra; Karwo-indrajau in Gujarat). In Telugo Wrightia is Amkuda and Holarrhena Amkuda-vittulu. In Kanad Wrightia is Kodamurki and Holarrhena Kodumarkan-bijai.

Gurcharan Singh

Dinesh Valke

Aug 11, 2009, 9:51:31 AM8/11/09
to Gurcharan Singh, devendra bhardwaj, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Gurcharan ji, did you mean to say Wrightia antidysenterica AND NOT Holarrhena antidysenterica ?
I have been finding all over internet that Holarrhena antidysenterica is considered as synonym of Holarrhena pubescens.

Regards.

devendra bhardwaj

Aug 11, 2009, 9:51:38 AM8/11/09
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Hi Gurcharan ji,
Wrightia tinctoria is more common in Rajasthan than Holarrhena. Wrightia tinctoria In hindi “dudhi” and Holarrhena "indarjau".
Regard

Devendra

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 11, 2009, 10:28:13 AM8/11/09
to Dinesh Valke, devendra bhardwaj, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I think Wrightia antidysenterica (syn W. zeylonica) does not come into picture. We are discussing Wrightia tinctoria versus Holarrhena antidysenterica which is now more correctly H. pubescencs. These two species are found growing in Delhi, as also in Rajasthan, as mentioned by Mr Devendra Bhardwaj. These two are often confused by the same name Indrajau, and often similar parts.

Dinesh Valke

Aug 11, 2009, 11:03:58 AM8/11/09
to Gurcharan Singh, devendra bhardwaj, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Apologies Gurcharan ji ...
1) I did not take effort to reach out to post 15320 of Garg ji
2) I have the bad habit of being hasty !!!

I misinterpreted the confusion ocurring due to similarity in the flowers rather than in their common names.

Just as Gurcharan ji said:
Wrightia tinctoria ///// Holarrhena pubescens (H. antidysenterica)

Hindi
मिठा इंद्रजव mitha indrajau ///// कडवा इंद्रजव karva indrajau

here are few more names of these species to compare:

dyeing rosebay ///// dysentery rosebay
dyers's oleander ///// bitter oleander

Marathi
काळा कुडा kala kuda ///// पांढरा कुडा pandhra kuda

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 11, 2009, 11:28:28 AM8/11/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj
I think we use local names with caution when trying correct name for a plant. In known literature Khirni in Hindi and  Gujarati refers to Manilkara hexandra.

Safeda in tropical parts of India is Eucalyptus, where as in Kashmir (where Eucalyptus does not grow) it is used for Populus.

Gurcharan Singh

kiran srivastava

Aug 12, 2009, 3:29:22 AM8/12/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
An insignificant comment but wouldn't the flowers smell different too? If I am not forgetting the flowers of Wrightia tintoria have a distinct vanilla flavour smell...

Cheers,
Kiran Srivastava
Mumbai