Peepal??050410-PKA2

Prashant awale

Apr 5, 2010, 1:35:57 PM4/5/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this tree at Jaigad fort wall. Looks like Peepal tree.

Botanical name:

Ficus …

Family:

 Moraceae

Date/Time-

29-03-2010 /12:50 PM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Jaigad Fort near (Ganapatipule- Ratnagiri)

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Tree

Height/Length-

~ 4 to 5m high

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

 Typical Peepal leaf shape (8 to 10cm X 5 to 6 cm), heart shape at the base..(Photograph attached)

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

….

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

……

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Globuse,  yellowish green (Photograph attached)

regards
Prashant
IMG_6347.jpg
IMG_6350.jpg
IMG_6346.jpg
IMG_6348.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 5, 2010, 2:34:14 PM4/5/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prasant Ji,
I hope this plant is
Ficus religiosa L., Sp. Pl. 1059. 1753. King in Hook. f., l.c. 513. 1888; bamber, Punj. Pl. 16. 1916; Parker, l.c. 476. 1956; Kitamura, Fl. Afgh. 85. f. 5. 1960; Bhandari, Fl. Ind. Desert. 348. 1977; Townsend. Fl. Iraq 4(1): 90. 1980; Corner in Dass. & Fosb., Rev. Handb. Fl. Ceylon 3: 236. 1981; Browicz in Rech. f., Fl. Iran. 153: 13. t. 7. 1982.

A large or medium sized, evergreen or deciduous tree, 6-15 (-20) m tall. Trunk c. 2-3 m in circumference, with spreading branches and usually without aerial roots, bark grey, fissured; young twig pubescent with pink new leaves. Leaves with a pale-green, slender, (4-) 5-10 (-11) cm long, terete petiole; lamina trullate-ovate or suborbicular, (4.5-) 6-15 (-18) cm long, 4-11 (-14) cm broad, margins entire or ± repand, 3-5-costate at the truncate or ± cordate base, apex .abruptly long-acuminate, acumen nearly half as long as lamina, lateral nerves 6-9 pairs with several zigzag intercostals; stipules yellowish-brown, deltoid-acuminate, 8-12 mm long; cystoliths present only on the lower side. Hypanthodia sessile, in axillary pairs, c. 5-6 mm in diameter, yellowish-green, subtended by 3 silky-puberulent to glabrescent, broadly ovate-elliptic, obtuse, 3-5 mm long basal bracts, internal bristles absent, apical orifice closed by 3 apical bracts. Male flowers: sessile in a single ostiolar whorl or sometimes absent; sepals 2-3, free, ovate-lanceolate. Female and gall flowers: sessile or pedicellate; sepals 3-4 (-5), lanceolate. Figs depressed globose, c. 10-12.5 mm in diameter, dark-purple on maturity.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Kenneth Greby

Apr 5, 2010, 3:16:43 PM4/5/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Is this Ficus arnottiana?

Regards--
Ken.

Apr 5, 2010, 10:07:59 PM4/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Thanks Dr. Singh--

 I know that this species is rather variable, even amongst the relative few I've seen in CA and FL, USA. I grew one of these successfully from seed when I was a teenager. It is now a nice tree about 8m/25' tall by 13m/40' wide in Southern California.

Regards--
Ken.

Apr 5, 2010, 10:38:59 PM4/5/10
to Kenneth Greby, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prashant ji
I also agree with Dr. Singh ,F. arnottiana. This tree is also growing in the college campus, P.G. College Balaghat (M.P.) where I was posted three years back. I also identified this tree as Paras Peepal i.e. F.arnottica quite similar to Thespesia of malvaceae in first appearance.

Dr. Satish Chile
Principal
Govt. P.G. College, Seoni (M.P.)
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

Apr 5, 2010, 11:31:31 PM4/5/10
to Satish Chile, Kenneth Greby, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear All,
I  support the comparative account of the both plants i.e. F religiosa and F arnottiana as provided by Gurcharan ji. I get the chance to see both the plants every day , as it's present in our colony. But more happy to know that my ID was right .... really the plants in my colony taught me lesson!!!
Regards
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 6, 2010, 1:38:11 AM4/6/10
to tanay bose, Satish Chile, Kenneth Greby, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Then Tanay
Why are you waiting?. Send some good photographs of F. arnnotiana.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Prashant awale

Apr 6, 2010, 1:44:54 AM4/6/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Satish Chile, Kenneth Greby, indiantreepix
Dear Shri Gurcharan Singh Ji & Tanay ji,

I posted this for discussion since i found this tree in Wild. Good that ID got sorted out.  Thanks a lot.
regards
Prashant