02102011GS1 Polygonum sp. for ID from Mussoorie Chakrata Road

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2011, 10:19:42 AM10/2/11
to efloraofindia
This species was photographed from Mussoorie Chakrata Road near Baratkhai. A small perennial herb barely growing more than 15 cm, forming patches along roadside. stems erect, woody at base with obovate leaves narrowed towards base, about 1.5-2 cm long, about 1-1.2 mm broad, rounded or acute at apex, leaves spirally arranged and closely spaced; flowers white ca 1.2-1.5 mm across, white in clusters in leaf axils.

Similar plant uploaded at Flowers of India identified as Polygonum filicaule, but perhaps not correctly identified. P. filicaule is a very delicate plant with straw-like stems, very distant leaves smaller leaves.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Polygonum-sp-Mussoorie Chakrata road near Baratkhai-1.jpg
Polygonum-sp-Mussoorie Chakrata road near Baratkhai-2.jpg
Polygonum-sp-Mussoorie Chakrata road near Baratkhai-3.jpg

Prashant awale

Oct 2, 2011, 10:31:13 AM10/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan Singh ji,

Could this be Polygonum recumbens?  I had also spotted the similar plant on the Road side on the way to Rohtang from Manali. I will post the same in seperate post to avoid mix up.

Regards
Prashant

Balkar Arya

Oct 2, 2011, 10:58:50 AM10/2/11
to Prashant awale, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
From description of Flora Simlensis it seems to be P recumbens as suggested by Prashant Ji
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2011, 10:58:57 AM10/2/11
to Prashant awale, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Yes Prashant ji
Polygonum recumbens is the closest choice though mine uploaded on FOI is a an ascending plant with longer stems and much more acute leaves than my above Chakrata plant. Let us see further. May be Ritesh ji can help.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Oct 2, 2011, 11:09:19 AM10/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Sir I am sharing my pics and Description from Flora simlensis
Polygonum recumbens (1).JPG
Polygonum recumbens (2).JPG
Polygonum recumbens (3).JPG
Polygonum recumbens (4).JPG
Polygonum recumbens (5).JPG
Polygonum recumbens (6).JPG
Polygonum recumbens (7).JPG
Polygonum recumbens (8).JPG
IMG_1600.jpg

Ritesh Choudhary

Oct 2, 2011, 11:14:52 AM10/2/11
to efloraofindia
Yes! This looks like P. recumbens to me too.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 2, 2011, 11:47:53 AM10/2/11
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Ritesh ji
What about plant as FOI as P. ficicaule, as I mentioned earlier.?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ritesh Choudhary

Oct 2, 2011, 10:02:05 PM10/2/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Sir,

Thanks for writing me back!

Polygonum filicaule Wall. ex Meisn. is now known as Koenigia
nepalensis D. Don.

K. nepalensis is a very delicate and different plant. I have collected
this from Himachal Pradesh which I'll upload tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I am not able to open the Flowersofindia site here in
Korea for the last few days. Therefore, not able to see the picture
uploaded there.

Anyway, in my view, the plant uploaded by you and Balkar sir is
definitely Polygonum recumbens Royle ex Bab.

Regards,
Ritesh.