information please

Madhuri Pejaver

Mar 25, 2010, 5:47:37 AM3/25/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear ALL,
One of my friend wants to have information about following lotus plant, specifically whethr it is indian in origin
madhuri
I want the information on the following plant.

Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn. (East-Indian Lotus).

Tabish

Mar 25, 2010, 6:43:37 AM3/25/10
to efloraofindia
Your friend could have tried Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelumbo_nucifera
- Tabish

On Mar 25, 2:47 pm, Madhuri Pejaver <formpeja...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear ALL,
> One of my friend wants to have information about following lotus plant, specifically whethr it is indian in origin
> madhuri
>
> I want the information on the following plant.
>
> Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn. (East-Indian Lotus).
>

>       The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.http://in.yahoo.com/

Madhuri Pejaver

Mar 25, 2010, 6:53:12 AM3/25/10
to Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tabish,
the link send even i tried
i want specifically the origin is it Indian in origin.
it is not given there.
madhuri

Tabish

Mar 25, 2010, 6:57:45 AM3/25/10
to efloraofindia
Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) is native to the following regions:
* ASIA-TEMPERATE
Western Asia: Iran [n.w.]
Caucasus: Azerbaijan [e.]
Russian Far East: Russian Federation - Amur, Primorye
China: China [s. & e.]
Eastern Asia: Japan; Korea; Taiwan
* ASIA-TROPICAL
Indian Subcontinent: Bhutan; India; Nepal; Sri Lanka
Indo-China: Myanmar; Thailand; Vietnam
Malesia: Indonesia; Malaysia; Papua New Guinea; Philippines
* AUSTRALASIA
Australia: Australia - Northern Territory [n.], Queensland
* EUROPE
East Europe: Russian Federation - European part [s.e.]

So, it is very much native to India too. This information is from
GRIN
( http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?25110 )
- Tabish

Madhuri Pejaver

Mar 25, 2010, 8:06:55 AM3/25/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
thank you Tabish.
will go through and again will contact later if needed
madhuri