About status of Gnaphalium indicum in India

Dinesh Valke

Jan 11, 2023, 5:28:55 AM1/11/23
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
While attempting to compile names and synonyms of Gnaphalium polycaulon Pers., I found at Flora of Pakistan that Gnaphalium indicum auct. non L. is synonym of Gnaphalium polycaulon Pers. It is found in a few other places also.

Thus got curious to know about Gnaphalium indicum L.
  • Gnaphalium indicum L. is synonym of Helichrysum indicum (L.) Grierson ... POWO | GBIF
  • Global distribution of Gnaphalium indicum L. is confusing; POWO shows no distribution in the Indian subcontinent, while GBIF does.

Please let me know whether we have Gnaphalium indicum L.distributed in India.
In case, it is not distributed,
  1. There are many sites / articles listing Gnaphalium indicum L. ...  are those to be considered as Gnaphalium indicum auct. non L.?
  2. There are many other sites / articles listing just Gnaphalium indicum (author not specified) ... are those to be considered as Gnaphalium indicum auct. non L.OR Gnaphalium indicum Thwaites - synonym of Anaphalis subdecurrens Gamble, whose common name too is Indian cudweed is shared with that of Gnaphalium indicum
Answers to my queries in red will help me proceed with compiling names of Gnaphalium polycaulon Pers.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jan 12, 2023, 12:15:37 AM1/12/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, DineshValke
Thanks, Dinesh ji.
BSI Flora of India also does not list this. Another link at BSI Flora of India further gives as Gnaphalium polycaulon Pers., Syn. PI. 2: 421. 1807. G. indicum auct. non L. (1753); Hook.f., Fl. Brit. India 3: 289. 1881. G. strictum Roxb., Fl. Ind. 3: 424. 1832. G. multicaule Roxb., Fl. Ind. ed. 2. 3: 425. 1832.
POWO and CoL (GBIF once followed CoL listings- I do not know if they are following the same, but not keeping uptodate with changes in CoL) also does not give distribution of Gnaphalium indicum L. in India.
We also do not have any species listed as Gnaphalium indicum L. in eFI references at Gnaphalium except in one reference, which can not be relied upon.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 12, 2023, 12:30:50 AM1/12/23
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Many many thanks Garg ji for the response to the main query.

I will wait for responses for my other two queries - which will help me in proceeding further with compiling names of Gnaphalium polycaulon Pers.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jan 12, 2023, 12:43:40 AM1/12/23
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
  1. There are many sites / articles listing Gnaphalium indicum L. ...  are those to be considered as Gnaphalium indicum auct. non L.?- Yes

    2. There are many other sites / articles listing just Gnaphalium indicum (author not specified) ... are those to be considered as Gnaphalium indicum auct. non L.OR Gnaphalium indicum Thwaites - synonym of Anaphalis subdecurrens Gamble, whose common name too is Indian cudweed is shared with that of Gnaphalium indicum-  That can be decided based on the plant as both these plants look different and may be having different areas of distribution.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 12, 2023, 1:57:25 AM1/12/23
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much Garg ji for quickly taking up the remaining queries.

The third one:
There are many other sites / articles listing just Gnaphalium indicum (author not specified) ... are those to be considered as Gnaphalium indicum auct. non L.OR Gnaphalium indicum Thwaites - synonym of Anaphalis subdecurrens Gamble, whose common name too is Indian cudweed is shared with that of Gnaphalium indicum
That can be decided based on the plant as both these plants look different and may be having different areas of distribution.

I did not express myself properly.
The instances of listing just Gnaphalium indicum (author not specified) occur in articles OR dictionaries where the species are listed, but without description or illustrations. This query holds importance where both species are found distributed. For example, the online dictionary - Tamil Lexicon  [Madras], University of Madras ... both species are found in the Flora of Tamil Nadu

Here is the listing of places for both species,
those in bold and red - both species: Gnaphalium polycaulon Pers. and Anaphalis subdecurrens Gamble are found:
those in black - only Gnaphalium polycaulon Pers.

Andhra Pradesh
Assam
Bihar
Chandigarh
Delhi
Goa
Gujarat
Haryana
Himachal Pradesh
Jharkhand
Karnataka
Kerala
Madhya Pradesh
Maharashtra

Manipur
Meghalaya
Mizoram
Nagaland
Rajasthan
Tamil Nadu
Tripura
Uttar Pradesh
Uttaranchal
West Bengal

Reference: GBIF
Gnaphalium polycaulon Pers.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jan 12, 2023, 1:59:26 AM1/12/23
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
That you can decide.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 12, 2023, 2:15:01 AM1/12/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks very much, Garg ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 12, 2023, 12:58:12 PM1/12/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dinesh ji it is very clear from both eFlora of Pakistan and BSI Flora of India (updated online version 2014) that G. indicum in FBI was based on misidentification and is actually G. polycaulon Pers., FBI apparently did not know about this species.