Crab's Claw

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Aug 7, 2009, 4:16:15 AM8/7/09
to indiantreepix
Friends
I was told this flower is Crab’s Claw. First time I saw in Sikim 5
years back. The bright colour and appearance as if some one pressed it
in bud stage itself, intersted me.
I thought the plant grows only in mountain area.
Recently I saw this flower in my society, but it is not that much
bright and also in adjacent society, the colour is not forming beyond
brown.
The above picture I took in Amboli 31/7/2009.

--
With Warm Regards,

THIRU
(E.Thiruvengadam)
Mobile 9987886892
Chembur, Mumbai -- India

IMG_0003.JPG

satish pardeshi

Aug 7, 2009, 9:28:54 AM8/7/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
it is
Heliconia rostrata Ruiz & Pav. Fl. peruv. 3:71, t. 305. 1802 in Bose &
Chowdhury, Trop. Gard. Pl. 264, 1991.
Common name: Hanging lobster claws, lobster claw, wild plantain,
flowering banana
parrot's flower , macaw flower , false bird-of-paradise

http://www.heliconiasocietypr.org/heliconia_cultivars6.htm
http://mgonline.com/articles/heliconia.aspx
http://www.wrasb.gov.tw/TSENGWEN/english/wither04/dd_04_48.htm

regards
Satish Pardeshi
Consultant Taxonomist

On Aug 7, 1:16 pm, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram <ethiruvenga...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  IMG_0003.JPG
> 113KViewDownload

Rajeev Matthews

Aug 28, 2009, 7:28:50 AM8/28/09
to indiantreepix
Hi all
I am posting pics of Heliconia from my roof garden in Hyderabad

Rajeev M.
P8250020.JPG
P8250021.JPG