Correa alba Andrews, the Botany Bay Tea tree from California

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 30, 2012, 9:39:45 PM9/30/12
to efloraofindia
Correa alba Andrews

Botany Bay Tea Tree

This interesting Australian shrub cultivated here in California really tested my botany. I started from appearance of flower, tetramerous flowers and 8 stamens to look for some species of Daphne, only to learn that it has both calyx and corolla and fruit a capsule splitting into four parts, not expected of Daphne. Key in the Manual of cultivated Plants led me to family Ericaceae to find that it does not match any listed there. Only when I uploaded to TAXACOM that I received a suggestion from Prof. Stevens (who maintains APWeb website) that it could be Correa, a member of Malvaceae. Only when I tried to pull apart corolla lobes that I found these are connivent petals and not fused petals.

   Photographed in Sunnyvale, California

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Prashant Awale

Sep 30, 2012, 10:23:11 PM9/30/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Another nice upload from California and its really great to see your efforts in getting the ID. Thanks.
Regards
Prashant

ushadi Micromini

Oct 1, 2012, 5:20:05 AM10/1/12
to Prashant Awale, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharanji:
Wonderful saga of how to search for an unknown...
thank you ...

I am a bit confused though..
I searched thru Malvaceae lists and did not  find Correa...
finally just googled Correa alba and first thing I got was this wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correa_alba

which says its a Rutaceae ...

looking forward to info from you
thanks
Usha di

PS so this plant is also a salt tolerant white flowered one... just like the
Carissa
macrocarpa...

I find the superficial similarities quite interesting... one from Australia another from south africa.. both grown in California...

Usha di
===========

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2012, 9:11:15 AM10/1/12
to ushadi Micromini, Prashant Awale, efloraofindia
Thanks Ushadi for pointing out. I wonder how I wrote Malvaceae instead of Rutaceae. Perhaps the age is catching up.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

ushadi Micromini

Oct 1, 2012, 11:04:50 AM10/1/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant Awale, efloraofindia
oh oh... me too...
its ok...
learnt one thing,,, not to worry... worry about it makes it bad for brain

:)

usha di
--
Usha di
===========

ushadi Micromini

Oct 1, 2012, 11:06:00 AM10/1/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant Awale, efloraofindia
now please tell me about the ps note that I sent in in bold...
above
usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 1, 2012, 12:26:20 PM10/1/12
to ushadi Micromini, Prashant Awale, efloraofindia
I think yes, based on statement from Wikipedia:

"The species occurs in sandy or rocky areas in coastal areas of south-eastern Australia south of Port Stephens"

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Vijayasankar

Oct 1, 2012, 3:51:37 PM10/1/12
to Gurcharan Singh, ushadi Micromini, Prashant Awale, efloraofindia
Interesting plant and nice pictures!

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi