Nocturnum cestrum

jagannath baladuraiswamy

Aug 7, 2008, 12:49:12 AM8/7/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I came to know about this plant very recently and want to share with you all.
nocturnum cestrum.doc

Mahadeswara Swamy

Aug 7, 2008, 11:37:42 AM8/7/08
to jagannath baladuraiswamy, indian...@googlegroups.com
It is  Cestrum nucturnum (night queen)  and not otherwise, as reported.  It is a very common garden plant in Southern India.  There are other Cestrum species.    C.diurnum ( day queen) : flowers during the day;   Cestrum aurantiacum (bright orange coloured flowers)  The foliage smells like a wet dog when touched! ; C. elegans: ( Butterfly flower , Red Cestrum with red flowers).
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 7, 2008, 1:46:10 PM8/7/08
to Mahadeswara Swamy, jagannath baladuraiswamy, indian...@googlegroups.com
Cestrum nocturnum is also a very popular garden plant in northern
India esp. in U.P. and Bihar. It is rightly called Raat ki Raani as it
blooms and gives out very sweet fragrance. I have always planted a few
plants ooutside my bedroom wherever I have gone. Alas! AC and coolers
have deprived us of those days of yore.
akbhatt