[efloraofindia:34304] Flora of Manipur: Benincasa hispida

R. Vijayasankar

May 8, 2010, 4:01:48 PM5/8/10
to indiatreepix
Benincasa hispida (Cucurbitaceae). The tender twigs are sold as vegetable in Manipur markets.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

benincasa hispida_1.JPG

tanay bose

May 8, 2010, 11:13:49 PM5/8/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Dear Vijayasankar Ji ,
we Bengalis take the fruit as a vegetable but never the plant !!! Nice to see a new veg in the menu .
Regards
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Satish Chile

May 9, 2010, 2:21:22 AM5/9/10
to tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Vijaysankar ji, The fruits of Benincasa hispida are used for making "Petha" and also for Vadi. The later is used for the preparation of Curry.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

May 9, 2010, 8:26:22 AM5/9/10
to Satish Chile, R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Thanks Satish ji for the Gastronomic updation.
Tanay

Madhuri Pejaver

May 10, 2010, 8:02:30 AM5/10/10
to Satish Chile, tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
If in Marathi it is called as Kohala then the juice of it is used in papad ata to make them light.
also from the fruit some dried pakodas are made which latter can be fried and cooked as curry.
Madhuri

May 10, 2010, 11:46:32 AM5/10/10
to Madhuri Pejaver, Satish Chile, tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Thanks Madhuri ji for providing Marathi name. I was waiting to see that.
Unless the mail mentions the local or common name of the vegetable plant the plant may be missed by some thinking that it is some very rare plant with a different botanical name.
Members should keep this in mind.
Dr Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

May 10, 2010, 11:58:07 AM5/10/10
to Satish Phadke, Madhuri Pejaver, Satish Chile, tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Got you Satish ji
I will provide as many local names, as I have, in future.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tabish

May 10, 2010, 3:41:05 PM5/10/10
to efloraofindia
You can see the flowers of this plant here:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/White%20Gourd.html
In Hindi it is called पेठाकद्दू Pethakaddu, in Manipuri it is called
তোৰোবোত Torobot.
- Tabish

On May 9, 1:01 am, "R. Vijayasankar" <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Benincasa hispida *(Cucurbitaceae). The tender twigs are sold as vegetable
>  benincasa hispida_1.JPG
> 301KViewDownload

Madhuri Pejaver

May 11, 2010, 3:40:28 AM5/11/10
to Satish Phadke, Satish Chile, tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Dear Dr. Phadke
thank you sir
Actually previously when i use to go out with people it was very difficult for me to know the local names.Commmon people dont expect you to tell the botanical name. If we do that they run away and loose interest. so I started learning common english names or vernacular names.
Now due to too many responsibilities i am not able to go out with groups, neither have time to study.
So na ghar ka na ghat ka.
Some names i remember in vernacular some botanical.
But I really enjoy all the photos , discussions, names, debates on the site. whenever time permits i just comment.
thanks again
Madhuri

to Madhuri Pejaver, Satish Chile, tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
My mom used to make sweet vdya of Kohala.
Regards
nalini