Asteraceae for id 070610MK2

Muthu Karthick

Jun 7, 2010, 8:01:46 AM6/7/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Please help to id this aromatic Compositae member found on roadside.

Date/Time-

28-04-2010 / 05:00 PM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Ooty town; Nilgiris; 1200 msl

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Typ

garden and roadside

Plant Habit-

under shrub

Height/Length-

ca.1 m

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

6 x 4cm; ovate

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

heads

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

white

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Aromatic [sweet fragrance when bruised]

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Dinesh Valke

Jun 7, 2010, 11:17:17 AM6/7/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
... most probably Chromolaena odorata, the common floss flower, Siam weed, triffid weed ... native of tropical America.
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 7, 2010, 11:31:41 AM6/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Yes Dinesh ji and Muthu ji
Chromolaena odorata.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Jun 7, 2010, 11:35:58 AM6/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Chromolaena odorata for sure !!!
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 7, 2010, 12:24:15 PM6/7/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Some months back I had uploaded photographs that were identified by members on this group as Chromolaena odorata. To me these look different and may belong to C. frustrata. Kindly comment

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
Chronolaema-frustrata-Delhi-3.jpg
Chronolaema-frustrata-Delhi-2.jpg
Chronolaema-frustrata-Delhi-1.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 7, 2010, 1:28:31 PM6/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Muthu's pictures are of Eupatorium glandulosum, i suppose. This is a higher altitude plant, frequently confused with Chromolaena odorata which is a very common obnoxious weed in the plains and lower altitudes.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 7, 2010, 10:43:27 PM6/7/10
to R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Vijayasankar ji
And your observations on my plant?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 7, 2010, 11:33:24 PM6/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Dear Gurcharan ji,

Initially i thought (even now!) your plant as a form of Chromolaena odorata. I am not familier with the name C. frustrata. Description in the FNA doesn't match fully with the pictures.

A key from Flora of North America (http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=106935) reads as:

# Leaf blades mostly 1.5-4 cm; involucres 5.5–7.5(–8) mm -------------------------> Chromolaena frustrata (Cape Sable Thoroughwort)
# Leaf blades Leaf blades mostly (3.5–)5–10 cm; involucres (7–)8–10 mm ---> Chromolaena odorata (Jack in the bush)

Pl have a look at the picture of C. frustrata available in flickr http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/3376021467_7a2f4e4096.jpg

The shape and size of leaves of C. odorata seem to be variable. Let's hear from other members too.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Muthu Karthick

Jun 8, 2010, 2:23:27 AM6/8/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dear all,
The plant I posted is not found on lower altitudes unlike Chromolaena odorata. Flowers and heads resemble Chromolaena odorata; but the plant is different.
More possibilities for this to be Eupatorium glandulosum Michx. of Asteraceae, as suggested by Viayasankarji.

J.M. Garg

Jun 21, 2010, 6:28:02 AM6/21/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman, C KUNHIKANNAN, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Muthu's pictures are of Eupatorium glandulosum, i suppose. This is a higher altitude plant, frequently confused with Chromolaena odorata which is a very common obnoxious weed in the plains and lower altitudes.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar”

“The plant I posted is not found on lower altitudes unlike Chromolaena odorata. Flowers and heads resemble Chromolaena odorata; but the plant is different.
More possibilities for this to be Eupatorium glandulosum Michx. of Asteraceae, as suggested by Viayasankarji.”

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

E 001.jpg
E 002.jpg