Fruits & Vegetables Week: Cydonia oblonga, the Quince

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 10, 2011, 12:15:09 PM1/10/11
to efloraofindia
Cydonia oblonga, the Quince, a fruit mostly used in jams and marmalades. The fruits are eaten ofter partial cooking or steaming.

Local names
Hindi: Bihi
Tam: Shimaimathala
Tel: Simadanimma
Kan: Simedalimbe
Kashmir: Bamtsunt

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Cydonia-quince-California-1.jpg
Cydonia-Quince-California-2.jpg
Cydonia-oblonga-Kashmir-a.jpg
Cydonia-oblonga-Kashmir-b.jpg
Cydonia-oblonga-Kashmir-c.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 10, 2011, 7:48:09 PM1/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nice detailed catch !!!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

nabha meghani

Jan 11, 2011, 6:44:04 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
yes, the german name is Quitte, The fruits have a very nice flavour. Making jam is very tedious though. The fruit has sharp hair and cutting the fruit is not a pleasent job. Many people give away thefruits from their garden, because of too much woek it creates.
Regards
Nalini

Jan 11, 2011, 7:40:17 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you prof. Singh ji for the information.
chulha (wooden stove)?  I know Chulha from my childhood, it was made of soil and we used to burn wood in it. Would be very nice if you can post fotos of these three varieties, whne you have time.
Thanks

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 7:59:44 AM1/11/11
to nabha meghani, efloraofindia