ID herb on river banks, Nashik

Jui

May 3, 2012, 6:01:22 AM5/3/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,
I needed some help with IDing a herb probably Exacum sp found on the banks of river Godavari in Nshik City itself on 29th April 2012.
The plant was 20-25 cm tall growing on wet rocks close to the river bed. I was accompanied by some portulaca sp.
The flowers were very small hardly 0.8 mm
bluish white in color.
the leaves were sessile but showed serrate margins. the basal leaves were as long as 4-5 cm linear. the stem and leaves were pubescent.

DSCN5665.jpg
DSCN5666.jpg

Jui

May 3, 2012, 6:03:22 AM5/3/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Adding one more photograph

Regards

Jui pethe

Neil Soares

May 3, 2012, 6:23:32 AM5/3/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Jui
Hi,
 This looks like Hydrolea zeylanica locally called Popti.
                      With regards,
                        Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

May 3, 2012, 6:44:41 AM5/3/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Jui
Hi,
 Have this on my property at Shahapur. Sending a few photographs for comparison.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 5/3/12, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hydrolea zeylanica, Popti 1.jpg
Hydrolea zeylanica, Popti 2.jpg
Hydrolea zeylanica, Popti 3.jpg
Hydrolea zeylanica, Popti 4.jpg
Hydrolea zeylanica, Popti 5.jpg

Jui Pethe

May 3, 2012, 6:57:02 AM5/3/12
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Dear Neil ji

do the leaves of Hydrolea have a serrate margin? this plant had a serrate margin which can also be seen in the photographs. Hydrolea leaves also has a tint of purple color in its leaves which was not evident in this plant.
I am really doubtful if this is Hydrolea zeylanica. I find it closer to  Exacum or Swertia or something like that...

--
Jui Pethe

Senior Research Fellow,
NAIP-ICAR Project,
Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University
Nashik

Neil Soares

May 3, 2012, 9:02:11 AM5/3/12
to efloraofindia, Jui Pethe
Hi,
 Fair enough. Please try for some more photographs [preferably close-ups of the flowers].
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 3, 2012, 9:31:25 PM5/3/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I think Jui mam's pic look like Veronica.
Pankaj

Jui

May 4, 2012, 7:24:16 AM5/4/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear pankaj ji

I checked Veronica anagallis-aquatica and the plant looks the same ... thanks a lot for helping out

cheers

Jui