Climber for id 120310MK1

Muthu Karthick

Mar 12, 2010, 4:43:39 AM3/12/10
to indiantreepix
Dear members,
Kindly help to identify this climber found in shades of high elevation.
Stipules are modified in to tendrils here.

Date/Time- 06 Mar 2010 02:00pm

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Satyamangalam RF; Eastern Ghats. ca. 1250msl

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- climber

Height/Length- up to 8m

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- 10-15cm length

Inflorescence Type/ Size- panicle; 15-20cm length

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- 0.3-0.5cm across; petals golden colored

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- berry; on maturity is red

Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- no fragrance

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org
Z 001.jpg
Z 002.jpg
Z 003.jpg
Z 004.jpg
Z 005.jpg
Z 006.jpg
Z 007.jpg
Z 008.jpg
Z 009.jpg
Z 010.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 12, 2010, 8:49:30 AM3/12/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
... a guess ... some Smilax species ?
Regards.

Prashant awale

Mar 12, 2010, 9:28:26 AM3/12/10
to Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Yes, i agree with Dinesh ji. Looks like Smilax sp. Check for Smilax ovalifolia..
best wishes
Prashant

Muthu Karthick

Mar 12, 2010, 9:43:01 AM3/12/10
to Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Could this be Smilax zeylanica L.?

Dinesh Valke

Mar 12, 2010, 10:08:56 AM3/12/10
to Muthu Karthick, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
But Muthu ji, S. macrophylla, S. zeylanica are synonyms of S. ovalifolia.
Please wait for more comment(s).

Regards.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 12, 2010, 11:54:57 AM3/12/10
to efloraofindia
Female flowers of Smilax sp. I wonder if S. ovalifolia occurs in E.
ghats. Regds, Shrikant

On Mar 12, 2:43 pm, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear members,
> Kindly help to identify this climber found in shades of high elevation.
> Stipules are modified in to tendrils here.

> *
> *
>
> *Date/Time- 06 Mar 2010 02:00pm*
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- *Satyamangalam RF; Eastern Ghats. ca.
> 1250msl
>
> *Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- wild*
>
> *Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- climber*
>
> *Height/Length- *up to 8m*
> *
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- *10-15cm length
>
> *Inflorescence Type/ Size- panicle; 15-20cm length
> *
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- *0.3-0.5cm across; petals golden
> colored
>
> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- berry; on maturity is red*
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *no fragrance

> --
> Muthu Karthick, N
> Junior Research Fellow
> Care Earth Trust
> Chennai - 61www.careearthtrust.org
>

>  Z 001.jpg
> 173KViewDownload
>
>  Z 002.jpg
> 188KViewDownload
>
>  Z 003.jpg
> 189KViewDownload
>
>  Z 004.jpg
> 339KViewDownload
>
>  Z 005.jpg
> 171KViewDownload
>
>  Z 006.jpg
> 252KViewDownload
>
>  Z 007.jpg
> 102KViewDownload
>
>  Z 008.jpg
> 176KViewDownload
>
>  Z 009.jpg
> 174KViewDownload
>
>  Z 010.jpg
> 152KViewDownload

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 12, 2010, 12:09:44 PM3/12/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
It is Smailax zeylanica.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

Muthu Karthick

Mar 12, 2010, 12:13:55 PM3/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thank you very much sir, for the confirmation.

Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman

Mar 15, 2010, 7:00:36 AM3/15/10
to efloraofindia
Yes exactly Smilax zeylanica...Stipules modified into tendrils and
reticulate venation (Although its a monocot) Smilax is an exception
with it..the roots are preferred as medicine..in veneral diseases..

On Mar 12, 10:13 pm, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much sir, for the confirmation.
>
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:39 PM, R. Vijayasankar

> <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > It is *Smailax zeylanica*.

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > With regards
>
> > R. Vijayasankar
> > National Center for Natural Products Research,
> > The University of Mississippi,
> > Oxford, MS-38677, USA.
>
> >  --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> --
> Muthu Karthick, N
> Junior Research Fellow
> Care Earth Trust

> Chennai - 61www.careearthtrust.org- Hide quoted text -

Muthu Karthick

Mar 16, 2010, 5:59:50 AM3/16/10
to Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
Dear members,
This climber matches with Smilax perfoliata. Please validate.

S. perfoliata: Umbel > 7; leaf sheath auriculate; fruits ripening red
S.zeylanica: Umbel 1 - 3; leaf sheath narrow; fruits ripening black

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 16, 2010, 2:57:47 PM3/16/10
to Muthu Karthick, Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
Dear Muthu, i have seen S. perfoliata in which the auricles are very prominent and broad. The number of umbels is 10-30 as per Fl. China. And also read the petiole & sheath characters here: http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200027946

If you are fully satisfied with the characters and the id, pl go ahead.

Muthu Karthick

Mar 17, 2010, 2:50:57 AM3/17/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Dr. Hari Venkatesh K Rajaraman, efloraofindia
oh okay sir, I arrived to these keys by 'Excursion flora of Central TN' by KM Matthew.
Now I can comfortable with the id Smilax zeylanica.
Thank you sir, for the clarification.