Pine for ID I Mukteshwar

rohit chakravarty

Jun 2, 2009, 12:25:36 PM6/2/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
            Photographed on 29th May '09 at Mukteshwar, Uttarakhand. Please help with the ID.

Regards,
Pine-1.jpg
Pine (bark).jpg
Pine (leaves).jpg

Neil Soares

Jun 2, 2009, 1:51:41 PM6/2/09
to rohit chakravarty, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rohit,
    It looks like the Himalayan Edible Pine / Chilgoza Pine [Pinus gerardiana].
                     Regards,
                       Neil Soares.

Dr A. RAJASEKARAN

Jun 3, 2009, 2:41:50 AM6/3/09
to rohit chakravarty, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi rohit

The pinus in your photo is Pinus wallichiana.

Infact Chilgoza pine (Pinus gerardiana) bark is smooth with mottled appearance. I have attached the bark photo of Chilgoza (Neoza) pine for reference.

with regards

Rajasekaran

Jun 3, 2009, 3:24:41 AM6/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rohit,
  The Blue Pine [Pinus wallichiana] has needles in fasicles of 5, whereas in the Chilgoza Pine [Pinus gerardiana] it  is in fasicles of 3. Would be interesting to know the configuration of the needles of your tree.
                  Regards,
                    Neil Soares.

Dr A. RAJASEKARAN

Jun 3, 2009, 4:36:12 AM6/3/09
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Friends

I would like to clarify one more point that In India Pinus gerardiana (Chilgoza pine) is distributed only in Himachal Pradesh and parts of Jammu & Kashmir. So far no population of Chilgoza pine is recorded in Uttrakhand.

Since I am working in this part of Himalayas I am sure that the photo of Rohit is Pinus wallichiana which is called as Blue pine. Looking at the general appearance of the tree I am sure it is Blue pine. As pointed out by Neil, Blue pine has needles in fasicles of 5 where as in Chilgoza pine it is 3 needles.

Rajasekaran

Jun 3, 2009, 4:45:28 AM6/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
May I add a little something here : Apparently, the Blue Pine was a
common tree and the original pine tree in areas around
Ranikhet-Nainital in Uttaranchal. Gradually, over a period of time
these original trees disappeared and were replaced by Chir Pines by
the British. Is this correct, Dr. Rajasekaran?

Cheers,
Kiran Srivastava
Mumbai

purnim...@priyaentertainments.com

Jun 3, 2009, 7:26:00 AM6/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

I have been seeing Chir Pines in Ranikhet for last so many years.
Atleast that is what was told to us by local people.

Purnima

Dr A. RAJASEKARAN

Jun 3, 2009, 7:51:52 AM6/3/09
to kiran srivastava, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends

Both species occur in Himalayas. Chir Pine (Pinus roxburghii) is a tree in lower Himalayas (elevation from 800m to 1900m). Chir pine plantations were raised by Britishers mainly to obtain resin. The forests of Chirpine are dry and more prone to fire.

While Blue pine (Pinus wallichiana) starts from 1800m elevation to 2500m or above also. Blue pine occurs in slightly wet areas or moist areas. Hence fire occurence is less in Blue pine forests.

with regards
Rajasekaran

From: kiran srivastava <srivastava.jo@gmail.com>