Sorting Ocimum species

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 29, 2009, 1:31:12 AM11/29/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, flowers...@gmail.com
Dear Colleagues
It may look strange to you but I feel Ocimum is another genus which needs careful relook at our databases, especially Flowers of India.
    Although there are lots of cultivars in the genus, but I think we can set our specimens in order. I request members to kindly observe carefully their photographs/specimens, photographs of Indiantreepix and Flowers of India website,  and compare with several authentic photographs with the net. While doing so kindly keep following features in mind:

Although they may be confused, Leaves are usually shorter than 2.5 cm narrower than 1.5 cm in O. americanum, always longer than 2.5 cm and broader than 1.5 cm in O. basilicum. Corolla 3-5 mm long in former, 6-9 mm long in latter. fruiting calyx 4-5 mm long in former, 5-7 in latter. Both are herbs with fruiting calyx ascending or spreading, upper calyx lobe circular with wings decurrent (joined) to middle of calyx, and front two teeth of calyx quite distinct.

O. gratissimum is a shrub with wooly leaves 5-12 cm long and 1.5-6 cm broad, fruiting calyx drooping, up to 5 mm long and corolla 4.5-5 mm long. Upper calyx lobe has wings only slightly decurrent on calyx, and front two teeth very close to each other.

Calyx tube is bearded within in all above species

O. tenuiflorum (O. sanctum) has 2-4 cm long leaves, calyx glabrous within, fruiting calyx spreading, 4-5.5 mm long, corolla 3-4 mm long. upper calyx lobe abruptly acute, lower two teeth long, spine-tipped.

O. kilimandscharicum  is a shrub with smell of camphor (our database has thread on this species but no photograph). I have yet to find authentic description of this species. Colleagues may please help.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Dec 30, 2009, 7:56:52 AM12/30/09
to indiantreepix
Forwarding again for assistance pl. for the following:
"O. kilimandscharicum  is a shrub with smell of camphor (our database has thread on this species but no photograph). I have yet to find authentic description of this species. Colleagues may please help."

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

R. Vijayasankar

Dec 31, 2009, 4:53:20 AM12/31/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
I wonder how i missed Dr. Gurcharan ji's this informative mail on Ocimum. What a coincidence sir ji, we also have thought about in the similar line and have done something (very small but) on this complex group. 'Tulsi' is another theme in the series of FRLHT's publications, and we have prepared a poster, as an educational material for the students, scholars, foresters etc. I understand that only 5 species of Ocimum occur in India. Other details and photographs of these can be seen in the attached poster. I welcome your comments/suggestions.
R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore
Tulsi poster_FRLHT.JPG

Vijayadas D

Dec 31, 2009, 5:28:48 AM12/31/09
to R. Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Dear,

   Thanks for these informations.

Regards,

Vijayadas

VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy
Electro Saudi Services Ltd
Salwa Garden Village
Riyadh-11462,PBNO-7210
KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Prashant awale

Dec 31, 2009, 5:32:48 AM12/31/09
to Vijayadas D, R. Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh
Dear friends,
I had few snaps of Ocimum. Thought of sharing with you all.Photographed at Nagpur.
Thanks & best wishes
Prashant
ocimum-1.JPG
ocimum-2.JPG

R. Vijayasankar

Dec 31, 2009, 6:42:31 AM12/31/09
to Prashant awale, Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh
This, i think, Ocimum basilicum var. purpurascens.

Vijayadas D

Dec 31, 2009, 7:26:02 AM12/31/09
to R. Vijayasankar, Prashant awale, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh
Any way it is O.basilicum, but dont know the variety

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 31, 2009, 7:48:19 AM12/31/09
to R. Vijayasankar, Prashant awale, Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Yes Vijayasankar ji
It is O. basilicum var. purpurascens
Also thank you for the Ocimum poster. If you have access, could you manage close up photographs of flower, fruiting calyx and leaves of O. americanum and O. killimandsharicum. I have uploaded these on the group for other three species recently.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

R. Vijayasankar

Jan 4, 2010, 5:19:06 AM1/4/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Vijayadas D, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Dear Gurcharan ji,

These pictures (Ocimum americanum & O. kilimandscharicum) were taken by my colleague Mr. Murugan. Hope these will be useful.
Ocimum americanum.jpg
Ocimum kilimandscharicum.jpg