climber with saw like tooth along the stem.

Yazdy Palia

Jul 2, 2010, 7:30:01 AM7/2/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Could someone help me in identifying this climber please? The stem is
square in crossection and is sharp like a saw.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

You have been sent 3 pictures.

DSCN3063.JPG
DSCN3064.JPG
DSCN3065.JPG

DSCN3063.JPG
DSCN3064.JPG
DSCN3065.JPG

Pravir

Jul 2, 2010, 7:46:15 AM7/2/10
to efloraofindia
Species of Rubia

Please tell for where you recorded this plant and if possible please
give elevation
>  DSCN3063.JPG
> 260KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN3064.JPG
> 215KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN3065.JPG
> 258KViewDownload

L. Rasingam

Jul 2, 2010, 7:46:54 AM7/2/10
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
This is Rubia cordifolia (Rubiaceae)

Regards
L.Rasingam

Yazdy Palia

Jul 2, 2010, 8:21:29 AM7/2/10
to Pravir, efloraofindia
Dear Mr. Pravir,
The plant is recorded at my farm at Chethalayam in Wyanad district of Kerala.
Thank you for the identification.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Senthilkumar

Jul 2, 2010, 8:22:44 AM7/2/10
to L. Rasingam, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Yes. It is Rubia cordifolia.

Regards
Senthilkumar U.
--
Senthilkumar U.
BSI & School of Ecology and Conservation,

tanay bose

Jul 2, 2010, 9:34:06 AM7/2/10
to Senthilkumar, L. Rasingam, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
The Plant is "Manjistha" scientifically known as Rubia cordifolia L. common English name Indian Madder. The plant is well known for it's medicinal uses in Ayurveda and other forms of ancient medication.

Medicinal use: http://www.herbalcureindia.com/herbs/rubia-cordifolia.htm

Regards
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Satish Phadke

Jul 3, 2010, 5:14:05 AM7/3/10
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
I had earlier posted same climber from Mahabaleshwar a hill station in Maharashtra.
Dr Phadke