Fwd: DIETES BICOLOR ( SPANISH IRIS )

J.M. Garg

Jan 23, 2011, 1:25:38 AM1/23/11
to efloraofindia
Forwarding pl.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Col Bimal Sarkar <colbima...@yahoo.com>
Date: 22 January 2011 19:56
Subject: DIETES BICOLOR ( SPANISH IRIS )

Dear friend,
           I visited Cherapunji in the year 2002.I collected a plant from the road side, whose flower was yellow in colour.I did not see such a flower anywhere earlier.I collected a plant and brought it back to Tezpur.The plant survived and gave flowers.I carried the plant to Cooch Behar.It multiplied and flowered at this place also.Unfotunately all the plants died due to fungal infaction.The memory of the plant is with me in the form of an image.The common name of the plant is African Iris,Spanish Iris,Yellow Wild Iris,Butterfly Iris etc.The scientific name is Dietes bicolor.Attaching an image of the plant.
Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix or https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (more than 1500 members & 60,000 messages on 15/1/11 & with a database of around 4450 species on 15/12/10)

Dietes Bicolor.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 23, 2011, 2:14:51 AM1/23/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Yes it is Dietes bicolor. I have photographed a lot of them in California, where it is grown very commonly. Here are my photographs.
It is good it is grown in India also

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor