requesting for id

shivaprakash adavanne

Nov 29, 2009, 6:01:58 AM11/29/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
dear all,

for id 291109 asp 1-4 - Bombax without spine

a Bombax (?) species planted 4-5 years back by the forest
department,is photographed in Lingambudhi lake ( Mysore-Karnataka)
premises.requesting for id please.

regards
a.shivaprakash
for id 291109 asp1 - Bombax without spine.JPG
for id 291109 asp2- Bombax without spine.JPG
for id 291109 asp3 - Bombax without spine.JPG
for id 291109 asp4 - Bombax without spine.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Nov 29, 2009, 6:13:01 AM11/29/09
to shivaprakash adavanne, indian...@googlegroups.com
... Bombax insigne has almost no spines ... but do not recollect the arrangement of buds looking like these, the buds itself look different.
Perhaps some other species.
Regards.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Nov 29, 2009, 6:48:14 AM11/29/09
to indiantreepix
Appears to be Ceiba pentandra, or the white silk cotton tree. Look out
for beautiful pinkish white flowers that bloom at night. You won't
find them in the morning on the tree. The bark would be greenish,
smooth and can be without spines. Regards
Shrikant Ingalhalikar
>  for id 291109 asp1 - Bombax without spine.JPG
> 46KViewDownload
>
>  for id 291109 asp2- Bombax without spine.JPG
> 65KViewDownload
>
>  for id 291109 asp3 - Bombax without spine.JPG
> 40KViewDownload
>
>  for id 291109 asp4 - Bombax without spine.JPG
> 30KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 29, 2009, 6:49:45 AM11/29/09
to Dinesh Valke, shivaprakash adavanne, indian...@googlegroups.com
How about Ceiba pentandra?
It has both smooth trunk and flowers in clusters

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Nov 29, 2009, 6:54:43 AM11/29/09
to Gurcharan Singh, shivaprakash adavanne, indian...@googlegroups.com
Shivaprakash ji, if possible please show us the flowers.
The photo of trunk and the branches do not seem to agree with Ceiba pentandra.
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 29, 2009, 7:16:52 AM11/29/09
to Dinesh Valke, shivaprakash adavanne, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh ji
I have uploaded trunk, flower cluster, flower, fruit cluster and fruit opened in separate post of Ceiba pentandra. You may please compare.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Nov 29, 2009, 7:33:47 AM11/29/09
to Gurcharan Singh, shivaprakash adavanne, indian...@googlegroups.com
The green-ness that I am used to seeing in most of the Ceiba trees planted in Thane, could change to more of brown as the trees grow older ... the colour I am referring of tree trunk.
Many thanks Gurcharan ji for enlightening.
Regards.

Yes Gurcharan ji, looking at the tree trunk in your photos, it looks like