Wild flower from Phuentsholing-Bhutan

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Aug 21, 2010, 1:07:27 PM8/21/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends...
I am new in this group, and would love to share the images of wild plants that I have taken during my trips to hills and forests of India. I have little knowledge about wild plants, and can hardly remember the scientific names of the various species. But i am eager to know about the wild flora of our country and thats why I have joined this group today. I am interested in gaining knowledge on plants of India.

Sharing with you all the images of a wild flower that i found at Phuentsholing (Bhutan) in the foothills of the Himalayas. The flowers were regularly visited by birds like Spangled drongos and Silver eared Mesias, as can be seen in the second and third pics respectively. These birds fed on the nectar from the flowers and probably helped in pollination.
Can someone please give the Id and details of the plant?
the pic was taken on 7th.March,2010.

Regards
Shantanu Bhattacharya.
Dept. of Biology.
Vivekananda Mission School (I.C.S.E).Joka.
Kolkata.

flower2.jpg
flowerw.jpg
flowerr.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 21, 2010, 2:30:38 PM8/21/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, indian...@googlegroups.com
Phlogacanthus pubinervius from the family Acanthaceae.

Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Tabish

Aug 21, 2010, 2:57:39 PM8/21/10
to efloraofindia
This plant is also found in NE India. Phlogacanthus pubinervius
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Red%20Nongmangkha.html
- Tabish
>  flower2.jpg
> 141KViewDownload
>
>  flowerw.jpg
> 141KViewDownload
>
>  flowerr.jpg
> 117KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 21, 2010, 11:17:12 PM8/21/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Tanay, I solute you; solving so many identifications sitting in Canada.
Tabish ji is a veteran as such.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Aug 22, 2010, 1:11:50 PM8/22/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for the Id to Mr.Tanay and Mr.Tabish.
It took me a few seconds to pronounce the name of this plant properly...
but i m glad that i know the name of this wild plant that i found in Bhutan...

regards
Shantanu :)

Satish Phadke

Aug 23, 2010, 1:03:17 AM8/23/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice catch of the birds as well as the flowers...
Dr Phadke

mani nair

Aug 23, 2010, 1:52:48 AM8/23/10
to Satish Phadke, Shantanu Bhattacharya, indian...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Shantanu to our group.  Nice catch of the flower.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Mani.

mani nair

Aug 23, 2010, 1:54:05 AM8/23/10
to Satish Phadke, Shantanu Bhattacharya, indian...@googlegroups.com
First time I am seeing a big bird feeding on flower nectar.  The bird in picture is drongo.  In Marathi we call it  Kothwal or gate keeper.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 23, 2010, 2:04:20 AM8/23/10
to efloraofindia
The bird in the pic is Spangled Drongo to be precise, (Dicrurus
bracteatus). They do feed on nectar sometimes, otherwise they prefer
insects.
Regards
Pankaj

On Aug 23, 10:54 am, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First time I am seeing a big bird feeding on flower nectar.  The bird in
> picture is drongo.  In Marathi we call it  Kothwal or gate keeper.
>

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:22 AM, mani nair <mani.na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Welcome Shantanu to our group.  Nice catch of the flower.
> > Thanks for sharing.
> > Regards,
> > Mani.
>
> > On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Nice catch of the birds as well as the flowers...
> >> Dr Phadke

nabha meghani

Aug 23, 2010, 6:03:28 AM8/23/10
to mani nair, Satish Phadke, Shantanu Bhattacharya, indian...@googlegroups.com
But the birds in Foto 2 and Foto 3 look different to me. The tail is different.
or am I watching wrong?

mani nair

Aug 23, 2010, 8:21:18 AM8/23/10
to nabha meghani, Satish Phadke, Shantanu Bhattacharya, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nalini ji, the bird in picture 2 is Drongo.  Any body please identify the bird in picture 3.

Regards,

Mani.

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Aug 23, 2010, 2:33:24 PM8/23/10
to nabha meghani, mani nair, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nabha ji...and Mani ji...
the birds in the second and third pics are certainly different....
the second bird is a Spangled drongo, and the bird in 3rd pic is a Silver-eared Mesia.
The latter is actually a kind of colourful babbler found in the foothills of the Himalayas, and rarely seen by birders.....it moves in small flocks feeding on nectar and insects. They play an important role in pollination.
have a nice time...
Shantanu :)

mani nair

Aug 24, 2010, 1:29:10 AM8/24/10
to Shantanu Bhattacharya, nabha meghani, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Shantanu ji for the information and sharing the photo.

Regards,

Mani.

JM Garg

Dec 21, 2015, 7:06:14 AM12/21/15
to efloraofindia, Shantanu Bhattacharya, tanay bose, Tabish
It does not match with Phlogacanthus pubinervius as suggested earlier by ... due to the following:
Phlogacanthus pubinervius T. Anderson in FOC with an illustration

It think it's Phlogacanthus thyrsiformis as per images therein.
flower2.jpg
flowerw.jpg
flowerr.jpg