Needs id

Bhanumathi R

Sep 17, 2008, 5:18:58 AM9/17/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi members,

Please identify the attached pic of a plant taken
in IIT campus Chennai. Thanks

Bhanu
P 047.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 17, 2008, 11:06:54 AM9/17/08
to Bhanumathi R, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
The picture P047.jpg is Cassia sophera.
Borkar

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Sep 17, 2008, 11:19:49 AM9/17/08
to Bhanumathi R, indian...@googlegroups.com
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Sep 17, 2008, 11:27:12 AM9/17/08
to Bhanumathi R, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think it's the same plant posted by me at Indiantreepix link at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/bd523ba0f419e700?hl=en#

Bhanumathi R

Sep 17, 2008, 12:47:03 PM9/17/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com

Thank you all for the plant identification & the links.

Bhanu

Akramul Hoque

Sep 17, 2008, 2:02:40 PM9/17/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Bhanumathi R
hi ENVIRONMENTAL LOVERS,
It is Cassia occidentalis  (FABACEAE, Caesalpineae)
AKRAM ( Ulu.Bot.Inst.)

Mahendra Prasad

Sep 19, 2008, 4:14:20 AM9/19/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Bhanumathi R
I believe it is a sps of Cassia. I have a similar flowering plant, but my plant leaves seem slightly darker. It flowers almost all the year round. The seeds are in long round pods, about 7 mm dia and 100 mm long, green turning brown and dry when ripe. In the photo one can see 2 seed pods lower down the flower, one fairly long and the upper one just developing.  Flowers about 1 - 1.25" size.

Sep 19, 2008, 1:17:35 PM9/19/08
to indiantreepix
It is Cassia sophera L. In Bengali known as Kasundi, sometimes
Kalkasundi, as by the great Writer Bibhuti Bhusan Bandopadhaya, the
nature lover and the author of Apu- trilogy and other well known
Novels, it grows wild particularly in his native place. Poor people in
this area eat both young leaves and the yellow flowers after cooking.
I had also tasted- great.

On Sep 19, 1:14 pm, Mahendra Prasad <mahendraprasad_...@yahoo.co.in>
wrote:
> I believe it is a sps of Cassia. I have a similar flowering plant, but my plant leaves seem slightly darker. It flowers almost all the year round. The seeds are in long round pods, about 7 mm dia and 100 mm long, green turning brown and dry when ripe. In the photo one can see 2 seed pods lower down the flower, one fairly long and the upper one just developing.  Flowers about 1 - 1.25" size.

J.M. Garg

Sep 20, 2008, 3:58:31 AM9/20/08
to sibda...@gmail.com, indiantreepix

But it appears quite close to Cassia sophera. Can anybody confirn the final Id & tell about the differences between the two?

J.M. Garg

Sep 20, 2008, 8:26:51 PM9/20/08
to sibda...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
As per Shrikant ji's book, Cassia sophera has 6 to 10 pairs of leaflets, while Cassia occidentalis has 3 to 5 pairs. In view, it is Cassia occidentalis.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

J.M. Garg

Sep 24, 2008, 10:03:05 PM9/24/08
to sibda...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Here is Sibdas ji's reply:
"Thanks Gargji, after I got your mail, I had to visit my village. I came across both C.sophera and C. occidentalis. The later truely has 4-5 pairs of leaflet, and sophera 6-10  pair of leaflet. Moreover, the leaflets are bigger and broader in occidentalis. Occidentalis are slender with sparse foliage and twigs and are slender in nature, but sohera are bushy  and with more foliage.- Sibdas Ghosh"