For ID070609ET

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Jun 7, 2009, 7:21:12 AM6/7/09
to indiantreepix
Friends
This plant interested me because of the uniqueness.
I took this plant picture while trekking from 2100 metre level to
2800 metre level at
Great Himalayan National Park on
May 12, 2009.
Kindly give ID .
Thank you in advance

IMG_0014-1.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0014-1.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jun 25, 2009, 10:57:28 AM6/25/09
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Appears to be some Fern species.

2009/6/7 Thiruvengadam Ekambaram <ethiruv...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jul 20, 2009, 11:06:19 PM7/20/09
to indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Forwarding again for Id help pl.

IMG_0014-1.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG

Bhatt Sweta

Jul 20, 2009, 11:50:14 PM7/20/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
It is indeed a fern species. The 1st pict shows the circinate vernation, which is peculiar to the ferns.

indrapratap thakare

Jul 21, 2009, 2:27:24 AM7/21/09
to J.M. Garg
Yes this is of course a fern species! Please someone mention the Species! Because, it's occurrence was at 2100 metre level to 2800 metre level at Great Himalayan National Park.
and I was also observed in the Melghat Tiger Reserve, Satpuda range in central India. That's why want to know the Species of given Genus Nephrolepis!

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 8:36 AM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Indrapratap Subhash Thakare
(Plant Breeder)

The Greenest Capital City in the World - Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India.

Cell No : 9725906330

nabha meghani

Jul 21, 2009, 4:26:26 AM7/21/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Hallo,
i know it under the name Wurmfarn. Wurm because of the form of the "leaf" This Wurm opens to a leaf. Very common in germany too.  See the following Info. Sorry it is in german.

Regards
Nalini

J.M. Garg

Jul 21, 2009, 10:32:11 PM7/21/09
to indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Here is a reply from Indrapratap Thakre ji:
"Yes this is of course a fern species! Please someone mention the Species! Because, it's occurrence was at 2100 metre level to 2800 metre level at Great Himalayan National Park.
and I was also observed in the Melghat Tiger Reserve, Satpuda range in central India. That's why want to know the Species of given Genus Nephrolepis! "

Bhatt Sweta

Jul 22, 2009, 12:24:21 AM7/22/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram
Well i am not so sure about it being any particular genus as i have seen same kind of species (which is still unidentified) during the visits to Darjeeling and surrounding environs(reference here being the higher altitude). Also, to determine the fern species one needs to see the morphology of fronds (ie leaves) as well the sori (reproductive structure), which is not at all clear in the given pictures!

Ofcourse, the resemblance is more closer to the Dryopteris, as given by Naliniji, as it is known as the 'Wood Ferns' which tend to grow on the ground in wooded places.

This link gives a little more insight to what we are looking for

Check this link as well

Regards,

Sweta

Vishal Wankhade

Jul 22, 2009, 10:24:59 AM7/22/09
to indiantreepix
offcourse this is a fern species, but I never found this in Melghat
Tiger Reserve, Central India, as stated by Mr. Thakre. Its a large
one, there are other two most commonly found fern species in Melghat,
which I am sending for ID separately.

Regards
Vishal Wankhade

On Jul 22, 9:24 am, Bhatt Sweta <bhattsw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well i am not so sure about it being any particular genus as i have seen
> same kind of species (which is still unidentified) during the visits to
> Darjeeling and surrounding environs(reference here being the higher
> altitude). Also, to determine the fern species one needs to see the
> morphology of fronds (ie leaves) as well the sori (reproductive structure),
> which is not at all clear in the given pictures!
>
> Ofcourse, the resemblance is more closer to the Dryopteris, as given by
> Naliniji, as it is known as the 'Wood Ferns' which tend to grow on the
> ground in wooded places.
>
> This link gives a little more insight to what we are looking forhttp://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/ferns/Dryopteris_wall...
>
> Check this link as wellhttp://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/species/?q=dryopteris+wallich...
>
> Regards,
>
> Sweta
>

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:02 AM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here is a reply from Indrapratap Thakre ji:
> >  "Yes this is of course a fern species! Please someone mention the
> > Species! Because, it's occurrence was at 2100 metre level to 2800 metre
> > level at Great Himalayan National Park.
> > and I was also observed in the Melghat Tiger Reserve, Satpuda range in
> > central India. That's why want to know the Species of given Genus
> > Nephrolepis! "
>
> > 2009/7/21 J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com>
> >http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Oct 27, 2009, 11:16:33 AM10/27/09
to indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, Vijayadas D, indrapratap thakare, nabha meghani, Bhatt Sweta

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl. in case Vijayadas ji can help us now.

Earlier relevant feedback:

"Yes this is of course a fern species! Please someone mention the Species! Because, it's occurrence was at 2100 metre level to 2800 metre level at Great Himalayan National Park.
and I was also observed in the Melghat Tiger Reserve, Satpuda range in central India. That's why want to know the Species of given Genus Nephrolepis! " from Indrapratap ji.

"Hallo,
i know it under the name Wurmfarn. Wurm because of the form of the "leaf" This Wurm opens to a leaf. Very common in germany too.  See the following Info. Sorry it is in german.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dryopteris_filix-mas
http://www.triberia.de/pfm/gemeiner_wurmfarn.php
Regards
Nalini"

"Well i am not so sure about it being any particular genus as i have seen same kind of species (which is still unidentified) during the visits to Darjeeling and surrounding environs(reference here being the higher altitude). Also, to determine the fern species one needs to see the morphology of fronds (ie leaves) as well the sori (reproductive structure), which is not at all clear in the given pictures!
Ofcourse, the resemblance is more closer to the Dryopteris, as given by Naliniji, as it is known as the 'Wood Ferns' which tend to grow on the ground in wooded places.
This link gives a little more insight to what we are looking for
http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/ferns/Dryopteris_wallichiana.html
Check this link as well
http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/species/?q=dryopteris+wallichiana
Regards,
Sweta"

"offcourse this is a fern species, but I never found this in Melghat
Tiger Reserve, Central India, as stated by Mr. Thakre. Its a large
one, there are other two most commonly found fern species in Melghat,
which I am sending for ID separately.
Regards
Vishal Wankhade"

Oct 29, 2009, 12:23:21 AM10/29/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indrapratap thakare, nabha meghani, Bhatt Sweta
Dear ,

It is neither Nephrolepis nor Dryopteris ,but belongs to either Thelypteridaceae or Athyriaceae,  have to find out .

Have any chance to take some close fotos of this ? showing the following -

Soral arrangement, lamina,pinnae(leaflet), stipe

--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

J.M. Garg

Nov 2, 2009, 2:54:05 AM11/2/09
to Vijayadas D, indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indrapratap thakare, nabha meghani, Bhatt Sweta
Attaching a close up sent by Thiru ji in a separate mail.

2009/10/29 Vijayadas D <vijay...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Vijayadas D

Nov 2, 2009, 3:45:02 AM11/2/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indrapratap thakare, nabha meghani, Bhatt Sweta
Dear,

I replyed to the author of this plant regarding some more clips to show soral arrangement and pinnae and pinnule and  eventually I can identify.

Vijayadas D

Dec 13, 2009, 8:35:41 AM12/13/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indrapratap thakare, nabha meghani, Bhatt Sweta
Dear all,

It is Dryopteris wallichiana var wallichiana.

Before I replied it as not  Dryopteris but that was my mistake, sorry for that.