Giving name in Kannada to Dicliptera cuneata Nees

Dinesh Valke

Jul 1, 2022, 4:14:04 AM7/1/22
to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara Swamy
Dear Mahadeswara ji,
Please check whether we can give a name to Dicliptera cuneata Nees on lines of the English descriptive name "wedge-leaf foldwing" given by dear Tabish (Flowers of India) - the name is derived from the scientific name.

My attempt is loose translation of wedge-leaf foldwing = ಕೂಟ ಎಲೆ ಪದರುಪಕ್ಷ
You may please suggest any better name OR validate my suggested name.

I have used Google Translate and Alar - an authoritative Kannada-English dictionary corpus created by V. Krishna
  • ಕೂಟ kūṭa ... noun ... a piece of hard material, as wood or metal, tapering from a thick back to a thin edge that can be driven or forced into a narrow opening, as to split wood, close a fissure, etc.; a wedge.
  • ಎಲೆ ele ... noun ... (gen.) a lateral outgrowth from a plant stem that is typically a flattened expanded variably shaped greenish organ, constitutes a unit of the foliage, and functions primarily in food manufacture by photosynthesis; a leaf of a plant.
  • ಪದರು padaru ... noun ... a folded part; a fold; a layer.
  • ಪಕ್ಷ pakṣa ... noun ... one of the movable feathered or membranous paired appendages by means of which a bird, bat or insect is able to fly; a wing.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jul 5, 2022, 11:26:36 AM7/5/22