SHEVLA - Monsoons Wild Leafy Vegetable available in Mumbai

Chaullee Chaulker

Jun 28, 2009, 11:42:19 AM6/28/09
to indiantreepix
Shevla
There is a part of this vegetable that is not edible.
See pics.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/573268656FIftBE?vhost=home-and-garden

What;s its biolgical name?
What nutrients are best available from this vegie?

J.M. Garg

Jul 27, 2009, 12:28:18 PM7/27/09
to indiantreepix

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Aug 13, 2009, 11:59:33 AM8/13/09
to indiantreepix, atulv...@gmail.com

Does anybody knows it's Bot. name?

Dinesh Valke

Aug 13, 2009, 12:13:06 PM8/13/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, atulv...@gmail.com
... Amorphophallus commutatus, the dragon stalk yam ... earlier posted by Shubhada ji and Rajesh ji in separate posts.
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 13, 2009, 12:36:06 PM8/13/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, atulv...@gmail.com
It appears to be some member of family Araceae.

Gurcharan Singh

shubhada nikharge

Aug 13, 2009, 3:04:42 PM8/13/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, atulv...@gmail.com
Hi Chaullee ji,
I had posted it before. now i am posting all stages of the plant.
Botanical name : Ammorphophallus commutatus
marathi name : Shevla
hindi name : jangli suran
English common name : Dragon stalk yam.
Family: araceae (arum)

Flower stalk appears first just before the onset of monsoon. Flower stalks are edible. I do not about the nutrients it has. But the vegetable is tasty.
Leaves appear later after rains.
Now u will see these plants bearing the fruits.
i have numbered the pics to understand the growth of the plant.

cheers,
shubhada

Aug 13, 2009, 11:37:28 PM8/13/09
to indiantreepix, atulv...@gmail.com
Here is a reply from Isaac ji:
"Dear Friends,
Please refer to Common Indian Wild Flowers on page 114 for Amorphophallus commutatus. Thats the Shevla in Marathi.
Cheers!
Isaac"

2009/8/13 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 13, 2009, 11:54:11 PM8/13/09
to shubhada nikharge, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, atulv...@gmail.com
Shubhada ji
Really nice series of photographs

Gurcharan Singh

J.M. Garg

Sep 8, 2010, 12:48:27 AM9/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, shubhada nikharge, indiantreepix, atulv...@gmail.com, promin paralkar
A reply from Promin ji:
"Hi,
I read the article on Shevla and want to  state that my mom who is now  87yrs old can  still make the tastiest  Amtee ( curry)with this  exotic vegetable !!!!Unfortunately, since we are now settled in Delhi we can only ask some friends in Mumbai in the months of May /  Jun to send these tasty vegetables if they can lay their hands on them !!! "

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)