Help

shantanu raghav

Jun 18, 2007, 1:16:08 AM6/18/07
to indian...@googlegroups.com
hi all,
My ppl have been trying to identify this tree for the past few years but still have been unable to do so..
The nearest i got was through Pradeep krishen's book <Mahua pg144 >But the structure is somewhat diff.I contacted him and he suggested Magnolia Grandiflora..
This tree was brought by me from Bareilly In Uttar Pradesh..
I have attached 7 photos of it at diff angles..
It' s local name is Shwet kamal..
It has branching like Semal but Somewhat thinner stems and rubber tree like leaves..
The leaves are a mixture of brown and green
hope u are able to identify it....

Thanks..
Shantanu Raghav

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg

Doc

Jun 18, 2007, 7:06:10 AM6/18/07
to indiantreepix
Dear Shantanu
I think it is Magnolia grandiflora. The flower is quite big when fully
opened about 15cm. It would help if you could take a picture of the
fully opened flower - macro shot. I saw many in the US recently. They
are found on streetwalks, avenues etc,
Doc

On Jun 18, 10:16 am, "shantanu raghav" <shantanu.rag...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> pic1.jpg
> 112KViewDownload
>
> pic2.jpg
> 121KViewDownload
>
> pic3.jpg
> 115KViewDownload
>
> pic4.jpg
> 133KViewDownload
>
> pic5.jpg
> 98KViewDownload
>
> pic6.jpg
> 89KViewDownload
>
> pic7.jpg
> 92KViewDownload

shantanu raghav

Jun 19, 2007, 1:15:00 AM6/19/07
to indian...@googlegroups.com
thanks doc....
i saw the pictures of the flower of the magnolia grandiflora on the net.....they match exactly with the flowers of the tree......
thanks for the help.....
shantanu