Eggplant #3 with thorns in the leaves + yellow riped fruits

raghu ananth

Jun 11, 2010, 1:23:02 PM6/11/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Note : Riped fruits

Regional Mullu Badane [Kannada] meaning Eggplant with thorns in the leaf

Purple flowers, thorns in the leaf veins (both upper and lower), and in the stem.

Date 17 May 2010,
Cheeranahalli, Mysore dist.

Photos Plant3-DSC_3589a, Plant3-DSC_3590a, Plant3-DSC_3591, Plant3-DSC_3593

Regards
Raghu

Plant3-DSC_3589a.jpg
Plant3-DSC_3590a.jpg
Plant3-DSC_3591.jpg
Plant3-DSC_3593.jpg

raghu ananth

Jun 11, 2010, 1:57:07 PM6/11/10
to C KUNHIKANNAN, indian...@googlegroups.com
fwd:
Response from Sri Kunhi Kannan

Jun 11, 2010, 2:18:50 PM6/11/10
to raghu ananth, C KUNHIKANNAN, indian...@googlegroups.com
I hope their is a typographical eroor it will be
Solanum melongena
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Jency Samuel

Jun 11, 2010, 4:32:55 PM6/11/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Solanum xanthocarpum (is how I remember from our twelfth std herbarium). It has thorns in the leaves, purple flowers and yellow fruits.Tamil Name - Kandankaththiri

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 11, 2010, 9:48:13 PM6/11/10
to Jency Samuel, indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Jency you are partly right. In fact Trimen in Handbook of Flora of Ceylone had identified as S. xanthocarpum. This is wild form of brinjal (flowers single) characterised by smaller globose fruits. Cultuvated brinjal has mostly ovoid larger fruits. This should be correctly S. melanogena var. insanum (L.) Prain.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor