Subho Mahalaya to all

Shantanu Bhattacharya

Oct 7, 2010, 3:34:06 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia, Soma Jha
Hi
wish you all Subho Mohalaya with some lovely Dahlia pics
Devi paksha has started.
May the blessings of Durga Maa be always with you.

a brief account on Durga Puja:
Durga Puja is the greatest of the festivals of the Bengalis. It is celebrated all over the country. Some perform it individually, some collectively known as Sarvajanin Durgotsav. The best known story of goddess durga is that of her defeating the demon Mahisasur commonly known as Asur. Durga puja is generally celebrated in Bengal in Autumn. Mahalaya is the day when mother goddess arrives...
The goddess durga is depicted with ten hands. She symbolises the strength of women,
The icons are made of straw and clay and then painted with bright color and decorated with clothes. On the fourth day of worship the icon is immersed in water which is known as Bisarjan.....

Regards
Shantanu  :)

durga-puja9.jpg
dahlia.jpg
dahlia2.jpg
dahlia3.jpg

Pankaj Oudhia

Oct 7, 2010, 3:37:47 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Same to you Shantanu ji. Here is link of photo album on Durga Pooja Festival in Chhattisgarh. Sorry, I was more focused on plants while taking these pictures. ;)

http://pankajoudhia.com/album/main.php?g2_itemId=37016

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Shantanu

Oct 7, 2010, 3:43:39 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Excellent collection of Durga puja pix... Pankaj ji.
Yah...as now i m very much interested in plants...especially after
joining this group...i will also focus more on the lovely plants n
flowers used for decorations ...during this Durga puja.

cheers!
Shantanu.

On Oct 7, 12:37 pm, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same to you Shantanu ji. Here is link of photo album on Durga Pooja Festival
> in Chhattisgarh. Sorry, I was more focused on plants while taking these
> pictures. ;)
>
> http://pankajoudhia.com/album/main.php?g2_itemId=37016
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Shantanu Bhattacharya <shnt...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi
> > wish you all Subho Mohalaya with some lovely Dahlia pics
> > Devi paksha has started.
> > May the blessings of Durga Maa be always with you.
>
> > a brief account on Durga Puja:
> > Durga Puja is the greatest of the festivals of the Bengalis. It is
> > celebrated all over the country. Some perform it individually, some
> > collectively known as Sarvajanin Durgotsav. The best known story of goddess
> > durga is that of her defeating the demon Mahisasur commonly known as Asur.
> > Durga puja is generally celebrated in Bengal in Autumn. Mahalaya is the day
> > when mother goddess arrives...
> > The goddess durga is depicted with ten hands. She symbolises the strength
> > of women,
> > The icons are made of straw and clay and then painted with bright color and
> > decorated with clothes. On the fourth day of worship the icon is immersed in
> > water which is known as Bisarjan.....
>
> > Regards
> > Shantanu  :)- Hide quoted text -

mani nair

Oct 7, 2010, 3:45:55 AM10/7/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
Same to you Shantanu ji and nice flowers also.  In our area on this day we offer our respect to all our forefathers.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Oudhia

Oct 7, 2010, 3:48:12 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
We will wait for the pictures.

While visiting Durga Pooja Pandal I found the vendors using Beshram (Ipomoea carnea) to repel the insects common in these days. I took picture without any delay. Please check

http://pankajoudhia.com/album/main.php?g2_itemId=37178

It was Dhabeli stall.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Shantanu

Oct 7, 2010, 3:49:49 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Yes Mani ji,.... we also do the same in Bengal....people take bath in
the holy Ganges offering respect to forefathers and ancestors.
We call it Tarpan. :)

Shantanu.

Shantanu

Oct 7, 2010, 5:20:45 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Hi Pankaj ji...
thats an interesting fact about Ipomea.
I think these herbs are used so that the flies n hoppers sit on the
branches and dont fly around.
Do u think that these plants have repellent properties?
plz throw some light...

Shantanu :)

Smita Raskar

Oct 7, 2010, 5:27:44 AM10/7/10
to Shantanu, efloraofindia
Beautiful pictures thanks for sharing:):)
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

mani nair

Oct 7, 2010, 5:32:15 AM10/7/10
to Smita Raskar, Shantanu, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji, for this useful information.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Oudhia

Oct 7, 2010, 7:56:05 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Here is an exhaustive list on topic  "Traditional Agricultural Knowledge related to Ipomoea carnea"

http://www.pankajoudhia.com/publ_2009.pdf

Ipomoea carnea is said to be very effective in rat control.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

tanay bose

Oct 7, 2010, 9:47:01 AM10/7/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
SUBHO MAHALAY AND DURGA PUJA TO SHANTANU DA
TANAY

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.