Request for id

Anita Dake

Mar 23, 2010, 6:57:27 AM3/23/10
Date : 20 March 2010

Mar 23, 2010, 7:13:15 AM3/23/10

Mar 23, 2010, 8:39:27 AM3/23/10

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Anita Dake

Mar 29, 2010, 6:55:27 AM3/29/10
to indiantreepix, Flowers of India
Dear All,
I have been able to identify this tree and its Saraca Indica ( Seeta Ashok).
Is it correct?

Thank you.
Regards,
Anita Dake

For Id 200310 AD (3).JPG
For Id 200310 AD.JPG
For Id 200310 AD (1).JPG
For Id 200310 AD (2).JPG

Parjanya guru

Mar 29, 2010, 7:47:14 AM3/29/10
to Anita Dake, indiantreepix, Flowers of India
.. .. Its not Saraca indica..

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 29, 2010, 8:49:16 AM3/29/10
to Parjanya guru, Anita Dake, indiantreepix, Flowers of India
Anita ji
This can confuse many of us. When I saw these photographs for the first time, my first reaction was also Saraca indica from the colour of flowers (although they are darker here) and more distinctly the light coloured hanging young leaves, so characteristic of Saraca also. When I saw it identified as Brownea coccinea I immediately went to the web and also saw photograph at Flowersofindia (the first website I visit for confirming any doubtful plant) and was confident about Tanay's identification. Since the two plants look so similar I could detect two main features which can help in identifying the two: Saraca has much longer exserted stamens (not that long in Brownea) and leaves are even pinnate (odd pinniate with terminal leaflet in Brownea).
    This one is indeed Brownea coccinea.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Nudrat

Mar 29, 2010, 12:46:03 PM3/29/10
to efloraofindia
Hello,

The plant in picture is indeed Brownea coccinea without any doubt. The
inflorescence is distinctly that of Brownea.

On Mar 29, 5:49 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anita ji
> This can confuse many of us. When I saw these photographs for the first
> time, my first reaction was also Saraca indica from the colour of flowers
> (although they are darker here) and more distinctly the light coloured
> hanging young leaves, so characteristic of Saraca also. When I saw it
> identified as Brownea coccinea I immediately went to the web and also saw
> photograph at Flowersofindia (the first website I visit for confirming any
> doubtful plant) and was confident about Tanay's identification. Since the
> two plants look so similar I could detect two main features which can help
> in identifying the two: Saraca has much longer exserted stamens (not that
> long in Brownea) and leaves are even pinnate (odd pinniate with terminal
> leaflet in Brownea).
>     This one is indeed Brownea coccinea.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Parjanya guru <gurooji1...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > .. .. Its not *Saraca indica..*

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

Anita Dake

Mar 30, 2010, 2:50:35 AM3/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Parjanya guru, indiantreepix, Flowers of India
Thank you very much to correct me.
As pointed out the flowers are different.
Anita Dake