DOOB / DOORVA

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jul 22, 2010, 3:09:15 AM7/22/10
to indiantreepix
Sometime back there was a query about the botanical name of Doob grass. Doob or doorva which is so popular with gardeners should be Bermuda grass or CYNODON DACTYLON. This shouldl not be mixed a finer variety of grass generally known as Kenya grass which is a recent introduction (about 70 years ago), I stand corrected if some expert finds me mistaken..
ak

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Tabish

Jul 22, 2010, 4:16:20 AM7/22/10
to efloraofindia
You are right about Doob, as far as my information goes:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Bermuda%20Grass.html
- Tabish

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 22, 2010, 9:18:44 PM7/22/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Yes Anand ji
Doob grass is Cynodon dactylon. The common carpet grass in lawns is usually Axonopus compressus.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 24, 2010, 5:58:33 AM7/24/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Yes Anand ji
Doob grass is Cynodon dactylon. The commonly planted Carpet grass is Axonopus