vitex negundo 3 and 5 leaves in HP ( Sameer Rastogi)

sameer rastogi

Feb 13, 2011, 8:54:00 PM2/13/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Himachal pradesh has vitex negundo plants with whorls of 3 and 5
leaves. are these two different species or one? Out of these two,
Bana ( 5 leaved), is used in traditional magic healing of Herpes
zoster and other skin diseases. it's surprising that 3 leaved vitex
has no place in magic healing at all .

--
With Best Wishes:
__________________________________

Vijayasankar

Feb 14, 2011, 12:05:35 AM2/14/11
to sameer rastogi, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think you are talking about Vitex trifolia, which has trifoliolate leaves.
This can easily be mistaken to V. negundo on a casual look, however, the latter species can readily be distinguished by its 5-foliolate leaves.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

sameer rastogi

Feb 14, 2011, 8:36:56 PM2/14/11
to efloraofindia
vitex trifolium is found in western ghats not in himachal . so its
definitely not V trifolium.

On Feb 14, 10:05 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you are talking about *Vitex trifolia*, which has trifoliolate
> leaves.
> This can easily be mistaken to V. negundo on a casual look, however, the
> latter species can readily be distinguished by its 5-foliolate leaves.
>
> Regards
>
> Vijayasankar Raman
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> University of Mississippi
>
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM, sameer rastogi <srastog...@gmail.com>wrote:> Himachal pradesh has vitex negundo plants with whorls of 3 and 5

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 14, 2011, 11:23:08 PM2/14/11
to sameer rastogi, efloraofindia
Perhaps  the matter could be resolved if photographs of both are uploaded. It is not uncommon to see 3 leaflets in V. negundo, but the inflorescence and shape and sizeof leaflets in the two species are quiet distinct.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor