Acalypha indica from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 30, 2010, 6:27:31 PM9/30/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Just checking the Flowers of India website I realised that perhaps one of the very common species of North India, including Delhi is not represented on the website, although it has been cited as synonym of A. lanceolata. I have checked all databases including GRIN, Kew World checklist, etc. and all treat two as distinct. I had written about it earlier also. After studying the two, it is certain that the two species are quite distinct, A. lanceolata is a quite distinct species with fan-shaped denticulate female bracts and different looking leaves and hirsute branches. It occurs in in parts of India.

Acalypha indica, a more common species in most states is quite distinct plant with broader leaves, mostly appregated towars upper part of branches, plants appresed pubescent, and most significantly female bracts which are ovate-cordate and crenulate along margin. I am uploading the same.

http://efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=96665&flora_id=5

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor