Is this Amoora ruhituka ?

rashida atthar

Feb 22, 2010, 8:18:49 AM2/22/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Date/Time:

 21 Feb.'10 around 10.00 am

Location - Place, Altitude, GPS:

 Mumbai, Sagar upvan (BPT) gardens.

Habitat- Garden/Urban/Wild/Type:

 garden, urban

Plant Habit- Tree/Shrub/Climber/Herb:

 Tree

Height/Length:

 A big tree

Leaves –Type/Shape/size :

Imparipinnate, opposite, 4-8 pairs, oblique, elliptic-oblong indicative of Meliaceae family

Inflorescence Type/ size :

Not seen

Flowers - size /Colour/Calyx/ Bracts:

Not seen

Fruits Type/Shape/Size :

opening by three valves as seen in one of the pic, oblong scarlet/ red  seed

Other information like Fragrance/ Odour/

Pollinator/Uses and so on:

Bark of this tree is suppposed to be astringent, used for reducing  inflamation.

Thankyou.

regards,
Rashida.

Amoora ruhituka fruit, seed.JPG
Amoora ruhituka leaves fruits.JPG
Amoora rohituka.JPG

Satish Phadke

Feb 22, 2010, 8:44:03 AM2/22/10
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
You are right Rashida ji
Presently it is fruiting even in Pune city.
The flowers are often inconspicuous and white in colour. I think I have posted them in some other thread.
The important thing about this tree is that it is evergreen and not deciduous(If I am not wrong) so throughout the year beautiful green canopy is observed and it is a very good native avenue tree for plantation in city.
Dr Phadke