Plant for ID 1 SMP 03062010

Satish Phadke

Jun 4, 2010, 12:26:17 PM6/4/10
to indiantreepix
A thorny shrub observed on way to Amboli.
Some Maytenus species?
Dr Phadke

Date/Time-

27May2010

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Near Amboli

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Shrub. Thorny

Height/Length-

2m

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Ovate sessile

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Axillary

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Less than 1 cm green

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

DSCN9006s.jpg
DSCN9008s.jpg

Neil Soares

Jun 4, 2010, 12:49:43 PM6/4/10
to indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Hi Dr.Phadke,
    It looks like Vangueria spinosa [now Meyna laxiflora] locally called Alu / Aaliv.
                              Regards,
                                Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 6/4/10, Satish Phadke <drsmp...@gmail.com> wrote:

27May2010

tanay bose

Jun 4, 2010, 2:09:30 PM6/4/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Dear Neil Ji,
You are right this plant is indeed Meyna laxiflora we call this plant " Nagkeshar gach" (Nagkeshar plant) in Bengali.
Regards
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Neil Soares

Jun 5, 2010, 6:19:49 AM6/5/10
to tanay bose, indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Thanks Tanay. Sending 2 of my photographs.
              Regards,
                Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 6/4/10, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
Meyna laxiflora [Vangueria spinosa], Alu, Aaliv 1.jpg
Meyna laxiflora [Vangueria spinosa], Alu, Aaliv 2.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 5, 2010, 9:39:18 AM6/5/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
A better picture depicting the real morphology Neil Ji
Tanay