Aloe Vera for ID: 160310-AK-2

Aarti S. Khale

Mar 16, 2010, 3:07:54 AM3/16/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Date/Time : 23rd of October, 2008
Location Place : Chettiyar Park,Kodaikanal ... Altitude : 2100 meters ... GPS
Habitat : Garden ... Type : cultivated
Plant Habit :  ... Height :  ... Length
Leaves Type : Succulent ... Shape : as seen... Size
Inflorescence Type :  ... Size
Flowers Size :  ... Colour : Red ... Calyx :  ... Bracts
Fruits Type :  ... Shape :  ... Size :  ... Seeds

Other Info :
Fragrance :  ...  Pollinator :  ...  Uses

Aarti

DSCN6609-Aloe Red,Chettiar Park,Kodai.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Mar 16, 2010, 3:15:40 AM3/16/10
to Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
... reminded me of similar looking flowers of Aloe vera ... could this be Aloe ferox, the cape aloe, native of South Africa ?
Regards.

tanay bose

Mar 16, 2010, 7:24:55 AM3/16/10
to Dinesh Valke, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Arati ji/inesh ji,
I will vote for Aloe ferox Mill. commely known as Bitter aloe, cape aloe, red aloe and tap aloe.
Regards
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Kenneth Greby

Mar 16, 2010, 4:31:13 PM3/16/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
A friend here in Los Angeles, with quite a number of aloes, feels that this is Aloe arborescens.

Regards--
Ken.

Mar 16, 2010, 11:35:09 PM3/16/10
to Kenneth Greby, Dinesh Valke, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ken ,
Aloe arborescens (Syn: A mutabilis) as the name suggest is arborescent by nature i.e. it shows a tall pseudo stem like structure hence many taxonomists have described it as tree. its leaf is bit narrower than ferox and the spike is more condensed and compact by nature and I also think the spine size in bigger than A ferox. this why didn't suggested the name.
Regards
Tanay

J.M. Garg

Apr 13, 2010, 8:34:05 AM4/13/10
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, tanay bose, Kenneth Greby, Dinesh Valke

Earlier relevant feedback:

“... reminded me of similar looking flowers of Aloe vera ... could this be Aloe ferox, the cape aloe, native of South Africa ?”  from Dinesh ji.

will vote for Aloe ferox Mill. commely known as Bitter aloe, cape aloe, red aloe and tap aloe.
Regards
Tanay”

“A friend here in Los Angeles, with quite a number of aloes, feels that this is Aloe arborescens.

Regards--
Ken.”

"Aloe arborescens (Syn: A mutabilis) as the name suggest is arborescent by nature i.e. it shows a tall pseudo stem like structure hence many taxonomists have described it as tree. its leaf is bit narrower than ferox and the spike is more condensed and compact by nature and I also think the spine size in bigger than A ferox. this why didn't suggested the name.
Regards
Tanay"

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSCN6609-Aloe Red,Chettiar Park,Kodai.JPG

Satish Chile

Apr 13, 2010, 8:47:28 AM4/13/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, tanay bose, Kenneth Greby, Dinesh Valke
Garg ji This may be Aloe arborescens, if plant attains the height of 2 to 3 meters as it appears to be in photographs.
Satish
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 13, 2010, 9:00:49 AM4/13/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, tanay bose, Kenneth Greby, Dinesh Valke
I think Kenneth is right, it is Aloe arborescence.
This is what my old book "Manual of Cultivated Plants" by L. H. Bailey says:

A. ferox: Leaves lanceolate, glaucous, 4-6 inch wide, more or less prickly on both surfaces, with reddish teeth

A. arborescens: leaves linear-lanceolate, 2 inch wide, long-acuminate, white teeth along margin

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 13, 2010, 9:10:04 AM4/13/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, tanay bose, Kenneth Greby, Dinesh Valke
Typo error, Aloe arborescens