Rutaceae week: Citrus sp. from Hooghly

surajit koley

May 11, 2012, 1:45:41 PM5/11/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir / Madam,

I recorded these pictures in three villages in Hooghly. I do not know the correct ID of this lime. I was trying to get hold on C. aurantifolia and C. medica by going through previously uploaded group messages. But it is still not clear to me. Though the attached pictures were taken from four individual shrubs, from time to time since 2009,  i hope the plant species is same in each photograph.

Species : Citrus aurantifolia ???
Habit & Habitat : shrub, garden, backyard
Date : please see the text
Place : please see the text

PHOTO SET 1 : pictures taken on 09-May-2012, 10.30 A.M. at  Garalgacha (Hooghly) :-

PHOTO SET 2 : pictures taken on 10-May-2012, 02.10 P.M. at  Krishnapur (Hooghly) :-

PHOTO SET 3 : pictures taken on 06-May-2012, 09.50 A.M. at  Nalikul (Hooghly) :-

This plant is a safe resting shade for birds (my own backyard in 2009 & 2010) :-

jungle babbler (Turdoides striata)

white-rumped munia (Lonchura striata)

common tailorbird (Orthotomus sutorius)

white-breasted waterhen  (Amaurornis phoenicurus)

This species is also LF plant of various butterflies (my own backyard in 2009 & 2010) :-

lime blue butterfly (Chilades lajus)

common mormon butterfly (Papilio polytes)

This is my last post in the ongoing Rutaceae week. I feel sad that i do not know any more member of this family.

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

Nidhan Singh

May 11, 2012, 9:59:27 PM5/11/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com
Surajit Ji,

I cannot comment on the exact id of the posted plant, but that doesn't stop me liking your beautiful post, shows the time taken, patience and a keen observation. Thanks for all yours efforts to share this information....
--
Regards,

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

surajit koley

May 11, 2012, 10:13:05 PM5/11/12
to Nidhan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Sir... thank you very much for appreciating. These days the birds are going wary. I think rapid destruction of their habitat is greatly reducing their numbers. Their food and nesting habit are also changing. It was easier to photograph a bird in 2009, even with a 5x zoom!

Regards,

surajit

ushadi Micromini

May 12, 2012, 8:30:15 AM5/12/12
to surajit koley, Nidhan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
nice
usha di
-
--
Usha di
===========

surajit koley

May 12, 2012, 12:38:04 PM5/12/12
to ushadi Micromini, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Usha Di for appreciating.

Regards,

surajit

jmgarg1

May 20, 2012, 2:54:07 AM5/20/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, tanay...@gmail.com, ratang...@yahoo.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, anikets...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, pamyn...@gmail.com

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1860 members & 1,15,000 messages on 30/4/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6500 species).

surajit koley

May 20, 2012, 4:14:59 AM5/20/12
to jmgarg1, indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, tanay...@gmail.com, ratang...@yahoo.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, anikets...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, pamyn...@gmail.com
Garg Sir,

Thank you once again for taking care of this post too. In Bengali, some of us call these lime KAGCHI LEBU while the others call it only LEBU. But i think KAGCHI-LEBU would be more appropriate.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

jmgarg1

May 27, 2012, 8:15:32 AM5/27/12
to efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, surajit koley, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, OZmic

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Thank you once again for taking care of this post too. In Bengali, some of us call these lime KAGCHI LEBU while the others call it only LEBU. But i think KAGCHI-LEBU would be more appropriate.
Regards,
Surajit Koley”

surajit koley

May 27, 2012, 10:02:23 AM5/27/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, OZmic
Thank you, Garg Sir, once again.

I think this is Citrus aurantifolia (Christm.) Swingle.
My guess is based on the following websites/document -
Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

May 27, 2012, 10:37:30 AM5/27/12
to efloraofindia

J.M. Garg

Oct 13, 2021, 2:57:18 AM10/13/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley
Pl. also consider Citrus longilimon, as per images and details herein.

Oct 15, 2021, 9:00:46 AM10/15/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I am not sure, Sir, how about Citrus × limon (L.) Osbeck of KEW or FoC, and synonymous with Citrus limon (L.) Osbeck of BSI?

Thank you
Regards
surajit

J.M. Garg

Oct 21, 2021, 5:39:08 AM10/21/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh, Vijayasankar Raman
Yes, the taxonomy of Citrus is quite complex with different databases saying different things.
Citrus longilimon is an unplaced name as per POWO (and not accepted by Govaerts, R., Nic Lughadha, E., Black, N., Turner, R. & Paton, A. (2021)) and not found in CoL and TPL.
So we may very well keep it at Citrus limon, for the time being.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

Oct 21, 2021, 8:22:17 AM10/21/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh, Vijayasankar Raman
Thank you Sir.

Regards
surajit