Request for treeID-150809

rashida atthar

Aug 15, 2009, 6:37:03 AM8/15/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

I request the ID of  this tree found at the south end of the national park in Mumbai. The leaves appear to be mostly imparipinnate with several leaflets. Although the pic shows whitish at the back of the leaf, some have observed a purpulish tinge too. Thank you.

regards,
Rashida.

Match ‘n’ Make new friends with the cool match-meter. Join the Planet with you Hotmail ID. Drag n’ drop
Unid treefrontleaflet.jpg
unid treebackleaf.jpg
UNID tree leaves.JPG

Neil Soares

Aug 18, 2009, 9:23:49 AM8/18/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, rashida atthar
Hi Rashida,
 In case no one has already identified it for you, it is Spondius pinnata locally called Ambada.
                 Regards,
                   Neil.

rashida atthar

Aug 18, 2009, 3:14:31 PM8/18/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the ID Neil. None of us could ID this tree although we saw it at regular interval  on  the Leopard trail.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 06:23:49 -0700
From: drneil...@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [indiantreepix:15970] Request for treeID-150809
To: indian...@googlegroups.com; rashid...@hotmail.com

Pardeshi S.

Aug 19, 2009, 12:55:25 AM8/19/09
to indiantreepix
Hi Rashida
Just check out for Garuga pinnata, Burseraceae
as i have also observed pink tinge beneath. the mature leaves are
densely hairy campared to young ones.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

Neil Soares wrote:
> Hi Rashida,
>  In case no one has already identified it for you, it is Spondius pinnata locally called Ambada.
>                  Regards,
>                    Neil.

Smilax004

Aug 19, 2009, 3:00:20 AM8/19/09
to indiantreepix
Are the leaves of the tree in the 3rd picture? I could feel some
difference in the leaves like the tip is more elongated in the close
ups and the leaf base is round in the tree but is narrowing in the
close up.

My opinion is that the leaves are not of Spondias pinnata (Is the leaf
picture from a sapling?). But the tree looks like Spondias pinnata.
Just taste the leaves when you go back to the field, if it is sour in
taste then it is Spondias pinnata, otherwise it is something else.

Regards
Giby

On Aug 19, 9:55 am, "Pardeshi S." <satishparde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rashida
> Just check out for Garuga pinnata, Burseraceae
> as i have also observed pink tinge beneath. the mature leaves are
> densely hairy campared to young ones.
>
> regards
> Satish Pardeshi
>
> Neil Soares wrote:
> > Hi Rashida,
> >  In case no one has already identified it for you, it is Spondius pinnata locally called Ambada.
> >                  Regards,
> >                    Neil.

Nudrat

Aug 19, 2009, 6:12:13 AM8/19/09
to indiantreepix
Hi

The tree in the pic is most certainly not Garuga pinnata as Garuga has
serrated margin and a rounded base whereas the leaf in the picture has
entire margin and a tapering base

rashida atthar

Aug 19, 2009, 9:35:04 AM8/19/09
to nudra...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Satish ji, Giby ji, Nudrat ji for additional feedback.  Attaching one more pic of the foliage of the tree. After going through the ID and books, the leaves seem to meet all the characteristics of Spondius pinnata.  Giby ji the 2nd and 3rd pics are of a young plant but there were coppices of the main tree which were similar.

regards,
Rashida

> Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 03:12:13 -0700
> Subject: [indiantreepix:16274] Re: Request for treeID-150809