Malvaceae week 09 05 2011 UD 008 Hibiscus rosa-chinensis various colors white

ushadi Micromini

Sep 6, 2011, 11:51:59 AM9/6/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg

Malvaceae week 09 05 2011 UD 008 Hibiscus rosa-chinensis  one of various colors   white

Dear All:

Family : Malvaceae

Genus: Hibiscus

Species: Hibiscus rosa-chinensis

This is one of many colors availbale on the market today… this 4 inch across flower was founf in a tiny village called Babupur, near Haldia… ie  the Bay of Bengal where we had gone to teach Basic Hygiene methods in cooking  to local women….

Some of them had made beautiful gardens

.

Enjoy

Usha di

Hibiscus rosa chinensis 1 white variety Babupur WB 2007 01 sm.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 6, 2011, 2:53:53 PM9/6/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, ushadi Micromini
The white beauty!!!!
Fantastic.
I was not able to read many of the mails will read. But have i missed something on rosa sinensis and chinensis?
Madhuri

Balkar Arya

Sep 6, 2011, 8:28:50 PM9/6/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, ushadi Micromini
Mines from Arya PG College panipat
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Hibiscus rosa-chinensis (1).JPG
Hibiscus rosa-chinensis (2).JPG
Hibiscus rosa-chinensis (3).JPG
Hibiscus rosa-chinensis (4).JPG
Hibiscus rosa-chinensis (5).JPG

ushadi Micromini

Sep 7, 2011, 12:51:37 AM9/7/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
No, Madhuri... they are used interchangeably throuh out the literature....

one example: I quote "
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis and Rosa chinensis are known as China Rose in the common language however both are distinctively different in appearance , growth habits and flowers. Therefore we will discuss them one by one.

  " end quote,    is from URL:

http://www.agriculturalproductsindia.com/flowers/flowers-china-rose.html

Internet is replete with such ambiguities and so are the old vs new books.. do not know which is preferred, may be Dr. Singh or Balkarji or Dinesh ji , Satish ji, Giby ji or ALok et al would know....

Good catch, Madhuri ji.

Usha di
=====

H S

Sep 7, 2011, 1:54:44 AM9/7/11
to ushadi Micromini, Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
there is no such species Hibiscus rosa-chinensis.. its Hibiscus rosa-sinensis Linn., it was first given name by Linn. in 1753. we have to follow the same name... even if it may be right or wrong..

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Ushadi micromini

Sep 7, 2011, 5:11:27 AM9/7/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
HS. ji.....

An Open mind, is a good scientific mind... is what my father and
fortunately my mentors around the world said...

I must be lucky.. because they gave me the freedom to look at the
world from all sides... with an open heart and mind.. and with a
sense humor and a kind soft heart ...

Usha di

========

On Sep 7, 10:54 am, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> there is no such species Hibiscus rosa-chinensis.. its Hibiscus
> rosa-sinensis Linn., it was first given name by Linn. in 1753. we have to
> follow the same name... even if it may be right or wrong..
>
> regards,
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM, ushadi Micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com
>

> > wrote:
> > No, Madhuri... they are used interchangeably throuh out the literature....
>
> > one example: I quote " Hibiscus rosa-sinensis and Rosa chinensis are known
> > as China Rose in the common language however both are distinctively
> > different in appearance , growth habits and flowers. Therefore we will
> > discuss them one by one.
> >   " end quote,    is from URL:
>
> >http://www.agriculturalproductsindia.com/flowers/flowers-china-rose.html
>
> > Internet is replete with such ambiguities and so are the old vs new books..
> > do not know which is preferred, may be Dr. Singh or Balkarji or Dinesh ji ,
> > Satish ji, Giby ji or ALok et al would know....
>
> > Good catch, Madhuri ji.
>
> > Usha di
> > =====
>
> > On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Madhuri Pejaver <formpeja...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> >> The white beauty!!!!
> >> Fantastic.
> >> I was not able to read many of the mails will read. But have i missed
> >> something on rosa sinensis and chinensis?
> >> Madhuri

H S

Sep 7, 2011, 6:38:31 AM9/7/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
agree with you maa'm..

ushadi Micromini

Sep 7, 2011, 7:13:44 AM9/7/11
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
Friends: I have since discovered that it has a name...
Hibiscus rosa-chinensis 'Waimaea'...
I had not done it, never expected it... but apparently it has slight scent
Usha di
==

Satish Phadke

Sep 8, 2011, 5:27:45 AM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, J. M. Garg
Usha di
I am of the same opinion as H S ji.
There is no species like Hibiscus Rosa chinensis.
There is species named Hibiscus Rosa sinensis.

Rosa chinensis is a valid species but it belongs to family Rosaceae.
I request Gurcharan ji, Tanay or Pankaj to comment on this; so that the doubts will get cleared and we will start using the correct name henceforth even if both names are accepted.
Regards
Dr Satish Phadke

ushadi Micromini

Sep 8, 2011, 5:32:19 AM9/8/11
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya
Thank you... so Balkar ji and myself will both have to change the labels on our flowers...

and at the end of that thread I will add the final diagnosis...

Well and good...

Usha di
======

Satish Phadke

Sep 8, 2011, 5:40:48 AM9/8/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya
I didn't mean that. I just want to know the latest and accepted nomenclature from botanists. I am happy with both the names personally.

ushadi Micromini

Sep 11, 2011, 3:27:24 PM9/11/11
to efloraofindia
For sake of continuity of the debate about the name Hibiscus rosa chinensis ...
UD, BA and now RD had used the chinensis name ...
for this flower...

may be we all need to change the labels..
Usha di
==

From: raju das <dasr...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 11:59 PM
To: Ushadi micromini <micromi...@gmail.com>

Dear Ushadi,

Thank you so much for the comment. The accepted name  is Hibiscus rosa sinensis. I am really sorry to put the wrong name. Actually we in our graduate classes were wrong with chinensis. Even you can also see them in old books. I am not at all any perfect botanist.... but what I enjoy in field, I just share those. I too, sometimes worried with some harsh comment from some fellow members (efl). Sorry again for this late reply.

With Regards,

Raju Das

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 3:59 AM, Ushadi micromini micromi...@gmail.comrote:
Dear Rraju ji: Nice pictures....
I have a question about this name..
I had labeled my flower as Hibiscus rosa chinensis... then in the same
thread Balkar ji submitted some of his own as Hibiscus rosa chinensis,
now you....  two botanists and one non-botanists... my thread is at :
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/19a0139fab332205/2f729bd60909030f?lnk=gst&q=hibiscus+rosa+chinensis#2f729bd60909030f

Please look at it and tell me if  either or or one only is correct.
Thanks Usha di
=====

--
Raju Das