ID Request

Sushmita Jha

Jun 14, 2010, 2:04:09 PM6/14/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
I would love to know the Latin and English names of the 'lucky red seeds' in the attached image. In Malayalam these are called Manjadikkuru and in Bengali, Chondon Bichi. These are disc shaped and different from the poisonous red ones that have a black eye, which are seeds of a creeper. The one in the picture are seeds of a large Rain tree-like tree.
Thank you.
Sushmita Jha
LuckyRedSeeds.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 14, 2010, 2:42:27 PM6/14/10
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Hi, i think these beautiful seeds are from the Coralwood tree (also known as Peacock flower fence, Red beadtree, Red sandalwood tree,.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenanthera_pavonina
Its latin name is Adenanthera pavonina. [the poisonous, red & black seeds are of Abrus precatorius, a climber].

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Jun 14, 2010, 11:38:16 PM6/14/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix

Dear Sushmita Ji,

As said by Vijaysankar Ji these seeds are from Adenanthera pavonina (Red sandal wood tree, Bengali: "Chandan Bichi "). The poisonous seeds seeds you referred is Abrus precatorius , which in Bengali we call "Rati  " used as small weight by jewellers in Bengal.

Regards
Tanay

Sushmita Jha

Jun 19, 2010, 2:50:00 AM6/19/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Thank you all for your very helpful response to my ID request.
Regards,
Sushmita