Flowers from Temple Garden - For ID - 220708MG - Malti

mal...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2008, 2:15:20 AM7/22/08
to indiantreepix
Hi All,

Here is another flower used in temples at Vrindaban. All photos were taken at Vrindaban, Rangji Temple, on 15th July 2008.
Its called 'Malti' in Hindi, and I have seen it in and around Vrindaban only. Saw one solitary sample at Lal Bagh, Bangalore but I havent seen it as extensively in Delhi as Madumalti, which is the Rangoon Creeper.
This one starts as a shrub and grows into a large sturdy vine. Has white flowers, which are faintly fragrant. The flowers start from a tip, which has long tendril like calyx, and blooms on top of the tendrils. Always 5 petals and they are twisted at the end, so the flower looks like a star fish. In full bloom, this vine is an amazing sight (and smell too:). The photos show a vine which I have been seeing for the past 30 odd years.
I searched on the net for this, but could not find a single matching entry.

Has anyone else seen this flower? I am sure someone must have. Any pointers would also be helpful, so would be any help with the Family name too.

thanks,
malyada
malti_150708_vbn.jpg
malti_150708_vbn_2.jpg
malti_150708_vbn_3.jpg
malti_150708_vbn_4.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 22, 2008, 9:30:29 AM7/22/08
to mal...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Hi, Malyada ji,
For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

mal...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2008, 12:17:41 PM7/22/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Yes, indeed it is.

Thank you so much. I had been wanting to know this particular name from a long time. And yes, I forgot to mention, it does have a sap, which comes on breaking the flower or the leave, and it can burn your tongue if tasted. So, its confirmed from Apocynacae.

thanks once again,
malyada..