ID request-270710-PKA2

Prashant awale

Jul 27, 2010, 2:18:36 PM7/27/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Came across this tall tree at Nagla Bundar (Thane) during March 2010.  Fruits were reddish in colour and were at the top.

Date/Time: 14-03-2010 / 09:00AM
Location: Nagla Bundar, Thane
Habitat: Wild
Plant habit: Tree (15m approx)
Leaves and flowers not seen.

regards
Prashant
IMG_5608.jpg
IMG_5608cropped.jpg
IMG_5607.jpg

Neil Soares

Jul 27, 2010, 2:24:41 PM7/27/10
to indiantreepix, Prashant awale
Hi Prashant,
 Looks like the fruit of Sterculia villosa.
                    Regards,
                     Neil.

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 27, 2010, 2:26:03 PM7/27/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Could this be some Pterygota or other member of Sterculiaceae.....?
Pankaj

ajinkya gadave

Jul 27, 2010, 11:24:31 PM7/27/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
i think this is
Sterculia foetida
Family: Sterculiaceae
Indian Almond  ( देशी बदाम )   )

tanay bose

Jul 27, 2010, 11:55:50 PM7/27/10
to ajinkya gadave, Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
I think this plant is Sterculia foetida in S villosa the fruit is much narrower with much more acute apex.

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Rashida Atthar

Jul 28, 2010, 12:06:44 PM7/28/10
to tanay bose, ajinkya gadave, Pankaj Kumar, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Could this possibly be Sterculia  balanghas L. ?

regards,
Rashida.

Pardeshi S.

Jul 29, 2010, 2:56:43 AM7/29/10
to efloraofindia
the fruits are not of S. foetida and S. villosa (in this case it is
smaller in size)for sure. Fruit looks like that of Sterculia guttata.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Jul 28, 9:06 pm, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could this possibly be Sterculia  balanghas L. ?
>
> regards,
> Rashida.
>

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think this plant is *Sterculia foetida* in *S villosa* the fruit is much
> > narrower with much more acute apex.
>
> > Tanay
>
> > On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:54 AM, ajinkya gadave <ajinkyagad...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> i think this is
> >> Sterculia foetida
> >> Family: Sterculiaceae
> >> Indian Almond  ( देशी बदाम )   )

Neil Soares

Jul 29, 2010, 3:37:16 AM7/29/10
to efloraofindia, Pardeshi S.
Hi Dr.Pardeshi,
 This does not look like Sterculia guttata [Kukar / Goldhar] which has much larger seeds. Sending you a photograph of S.guttata pods for comparison.
                  Regards,
                   Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 7/29/10, Pardeshi S. <satishp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Fruit of Sterculia guttata [Kukar, Goldhar].jpg

Pardeshi S.

Jul 29, 2010, 4:19:39 AM7/29/10
to efloraofindia
HI Neil ji
looking at your photograph of S. guttata, i feel more confident of it
being S. guttata. teh pic uploaded by Prashant ji shows a white seed
which may be a underdeveloped seed which has not dehished, note that
all other seeds are already dehished. comparing with ur pic it seems
more likely to be S. guttata.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi