Re: [efloraofindia:35321] Re: Tree for Id (Chilaune)

Rakesh Biswas

May 19, 2010, 10:02:54 AM5/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan Ji,

This is very interesting.

The one I saw was Schima Wallichi.

regards,

rakesh

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
Rakesh ji and Ritesh ji
I find two different plants with white flowers and similar leaves and similar local names:

Nyssa javanica Wang. (syn: N. sessiliflora Hook.f. & T.)
Nepal: Lekh chilaune
Beng.: Chilauni, kalay
Lepcha: Hlo-sumbrung
Assam: Gohari chopa

Here are the photographs:

The second is of couse Schima wallichii (DC.) Korth. (syn: S. khasiana Dyer; S. mollis Dyer

English/Trade: Needle wood, chilauni
Nepal: Aule-chilaune, goe-chilaune, sule-chilaune
Beng.: Makrisal, cheloni
Assam: Makria, chilauni, makriasal, noghabhe
Goalpara: Gugera
Khasi hills: Dieng-ngan, dingan
Cachar: Bonac, jam
Nagaland: Ingkhia-chin