[efloraofindia:33526] Is it Adenanthera pavonia ?

shobha chavda

Apr 29, 2010, 7:54:26 AM4/29/10
to indiantreepix
Request for ID-290410SC1
Dear All,
I saw this tree in BPT Garden ,Colaba ,Mumbai.
Is it Adenanthera pavonia ? ( "रतनगुंज" in Marathi)
Regards,
Shobha

Copy of Spring 031.jpg

Parjanya guru

Apr 29, 2010, 8:12:30 AM4/29/10
to shobha chavda, indiantreepix
.. Seems to be Adenanthera pavonia  Even the fruits behind are resembling...
 But.. were the seeds scarlet red.? ha..?

--
  With regards,
  Parjanya Guru

Satish Chile

Apr 29, 2010, 8:19:01 AM4/29/10
to Parjanya guru, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Yes this is Adenanthera pavonia. Leaves and fruits are quite similar. It would be better Shobha ji if you get a picture with attached seeds.
Satish

--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

Apr 29, 2010, 9:59:15 AM4/29/10
to Satish Chile, Parjanya guru, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Dear Shobha Ji, Parjanya Ji & Satish ji,
This plant is indeed Adenanthera pavonina from the Family Leguminosae, Subfamily Mimosoideae common called Coral wood. I think Satish Ji and Parjanya Ji both made a typographical error regarding the name of the plant. Hope you will not mind for pointing out the correction!!!
Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Parjanya guru

Apr 29, 2010, 10:05:38 AM4/29/10
to tanay bose, Satish Chile, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Exactly Tanay..
 Thank you for critically going with the typographivcal errors..
Yes, Its indeed Adenanthera pavonina .L.
Its also better to add the authority with the name... Tanayjee will not mind....
:)

Satish Phadke

Apr 29, 2010, 12:01:25 PM4/29/10
to shobha chavda, indiantreepix

shobha chavda

Apr 30, 2010, 6:27:25 AM4/30/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanx everybody.

Dr.Phadake,
Thanx for sending the link.I went through  earlier discussion which was really very informative.But I m still  not clear whether both the varieties of " Gunj" ( Adenanthera pavonina and Arbus precatorius) are used for weighing or only one of the varieties? Because I was told that only Arbus is used for gold weighing.
Regards,
Shobha

Satish Chile

Apr 30, 2010, 7:26:40 AM4/30/10
to tanay bose, Parjanya guru, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Thanks Tanay ji. Constructive critics are always welcome.
Satish

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 30, 2010, 8:38:25 AM4/30/10
to Satish Chile, tanay bose, Parjanya guru, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Shobha ji
Both Abrus precatorius and Adenanthera pavonina, (as well as Mash bean (Black gram, Phaseolus mungo), and rice have been used in traditional weighing system. This is what we learnt since childhood

8 chaval (rice) = 1 rati
8 rati              =1 masha
12 masha       =1 tola

Both Ratti as well as Adenanther pavonina (thus also called carat bean) have long been used in weighing gold and ornaments, as also for making rosaries.

Incidently word gram also seems to be derived from black gram which weighs slightly less than 1 gm. Here are exact relationships.

1 carat bean= 4 grains= 0.259 gm

1 tola         = 11.6638125        gm
1 masha    =  0.971984375      gm
1 Rati        =  0.121998046875 gm
1 rice        =  0.0151872559     gm

thus one carat bean seed would be roughly equal to two seeds of rati

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor